-48-

-48-

"Elkie, stay inside for now. We're going to head out to deal with business," Hiiro says, his eyes not looking into mine as Masamune stands beside him.

"We'll be back soon," Masamune states.

It has been a bit since they went out to do whatever they want to do. How long am I supposed to wait for them to get back? Is this what it is like being one of Masamune's employees full time? You just wait around for him to come back with something for you to do?

"You're Elkie Winters, right?" A voice asks me and I look over as some guy in a black jacket stares at me with a smile on his face. This man looks familiar, but I can't place a name. "Yes or no?"

"I am. Who are you?" I don't know this man, right?

He steps towards me, grinning widely. "You should know me from all the stories about me. Kiriya Kujo, at your service," he answers, holding out his hand to me. "We're going to be working together from this moment on."

Kiriya Kujo? Didn't he die? How did he come back? Unless...Masamune brought him back from the dead and he's now a Bugster!

"You're not going to shake my hand?" He drops it, his smile dropping a bit. "I knew about you before dying. It is interesting that the one I selected would be selected by Kuroto too. Of course, he's was probably at random."

"What are you even talking about?" I don't get it.

"The one who opened up your world to ours was me. I was studying some sort of crack in this world when I accidentally opened up some kind of portal. I stepped into your world and saw you with your friends. I went back to my world, which somehow gave me the knowledge of my world being fake."

Kiriya's the one who got us all into this mess? Masamune wasn't lying when he said he had nothing to do with it then. I guess that man isn't a liar, but just plain creepy and mean. What an awful guy.

"Kuroto is the one who officially yanked you in, but I was the one who selected you in the first place. I selected you because you seem like you needed something to make your life more exciting. What's more exciting than this, am I right?" Kiriya grins, looking kind of like that cat from Alice in Wonderland.

"You..." He's the one who made this possible for me. 

"You're going to help me save the world. This world is in need of something and you're going to help me figure it out," he tells me. "And I'm not lying to you. I may be a good liar, but that doesn't mean I'm always lying to someone."

Kiriya selected me because he thought I needed some excitement in my life? Does that mean he thinks I was boring before all this? How can he determine that I'm a perfect fit for fixing this world?

"What happens when we close this world off to mine?" I ask. "What happens then?"

"We'll go back to being in our own world and you're going to go back to yours. You'll have to forget this world and move on with your life. You're going to remember everything here, but you won't be able to come back." 

I won't be able to see Emu once I leave then. Hiiro wasn't wrong about that. He knew it. He knew I wouldn't be able to come back and see Emu the moment I head home. How am I going to live with that? 

"I know it sucks to go home once you have attachments to all of these characters here, but it is what it is. We're fictional."

I shake my head. "You're not. You're real."

"We're fictional and we know it. So, Elkie, I saw your friend here as well. Kuroto got her himself it seems. I don't know why he grabbed her, but he did," he responds, pretty much blowing off me and my feelings. "Hiiro is helping you out with the others, right?"