thirty nine

.✫*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚✫*.

✫*゚・゚。

.✫*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚✫*.

It was Friday.
The pogues and I were driving to the chateau to meet up with Topper since he decided to check on Rafe.
We were going on a boat ride around the marsh and since the HMS Pogue was still docked in front of John B's house we would have to inevitably come across Rafe.

Kie parked the car on the driveway and we walked together to the front porch. Pope knocked on the door to call Topper and JJ started prepping up the boat so that we could go on a ride.

"Guys!" Kie called and we all gathered around her, even Topper that had already left the house and closed the door behind him. "Sarah is calling." She said in a lower voice to make sure Rafe couldn't hear from inside the house.

"Just pick up and tell her that we will call later when we are in the marsh." Pope suggested. She nodded and did as she was told.

"Hey, look we are near Rafe right now so we will call later." She said into the phone. There was silence while Sarah replied and the Kie looked around as if to check if Rafe was there. "Bye Sar-" she said but cut herself up afraid that he could still hear her from the house.

"Uh guys... Rafe was spying on us by the window." Topper said focused on one of the windows that had the curtains dangling as if someone had just moved them.

"What if he heard me?" Kie asked worried.

"He can't possibly understand what you were talking about with the few sentences you said." JJ dismissed her concerned state. "What did she want?" He asked and started walking towards the boat with us following close behind him.

"This was their last call until you know... they arrive Sunday at 10 am." Kie said and they all celebrated.

I was ecstatic, of course, but I didn't know what the couple arrival would mean to our friendship. Would they leave me aside? I didn't want to think about it but, to be honest, during the last month or so, we only thought about how to help them, there wasn't a day that passed that we didn't talk about John B, Sarah and the gold. I know I'm being selfish but I didn't want to lose the amazing bond that I had with them.

JJ helped me get into the boat and we layed down on the back while Topper and Kie drove the bus and Pope was studying for a teste in the front.

"What is on your mind?" JJ asked noticing my quietness.

"Oh nothing, don't worry about it." I said and cuddled up to him kissing his jaw. I saw that he wanted to push me to talk but refrained himself.

We spent the afternoon on the marsh talking, drinking and overall having fun. I didn't want to lose this people, they became my home in a incredibly short period of time.

We docked the boat, this time in front of Pope's place so that Rafe didn't get any ideas and fled the country on it.

"I'm going to my father's house, I need to pick up some stuff." JJ said when we were saying goodbye to Pope.

"Do you want a ride?" Kie asked.

"I'm going to walk, I need some air." He replied.

"I can go with you so that you're not all alone." I suggested. I saw the way Kie and Pope glanced at each other with a concerned look.

"Oh it's fine, I don't want to bother you." He replied looking everywhere else but at me.

"It's no bother, I have nothing to do." I said.

"I said no!" JJ said raising his voice at me. I stepped back getting away from him, I didn't know it was such a touchy topic. "I'm trying to protect you, Rina." He said closing the space between us and caressing my cheek.

"From what?" I asked confused. He sighed and looked at his feet.

"I'll explain everything tomorrow. I promise." He said and gave me a peck on the lips.

I nodded and squeezed his hand to give him some comfort when I saw the hurt and the pain in his eyes. Something really bad happened in that house and it was breaking my heart seeing the carefree and playful JJ that I knew and loved so down.

.✫*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚✫*.

AN I just noticed that JJ never really told Rina about his abusive father ups