seven

The next few days went smoothly. It was weird, to feel like a confused freshman walking around a new campus again, but it was also healing. I didn't feel nervous that I'd run into one of Brandon's weird film student friends or one of the girls who thought he was just so smart, no doubt desperate to know exactly why Brandon dumped me (since I'm sure that's what he told them).

It didn't hurt that Zane walked me to my first class on Monday and the day before showed me around campus a bit.

All my classes seemed decent. I couldn't get into the teaching program my first semester as a transfer student, so I ended up being forced to take one class required for my major, and then a few random extras just so I could be considered a student (which sucked... but whatever, it happened).

I was just glad to be home after my first day of classes. The summer seemed to drag on and on in my post breakup depression, which meant getting back to school was... hard, to say the least. I wasn't a very focused person in the first place.

"Millie's home," Zane announced for the two boys playing their video game as I finally entered the house.

"Hi," I kicked off my shoes at the door to carry to my room, chunking them and my bookbag past the door without a second thought, not too worried about where they ended up. The intellectuals do always say that smarter people have messier rooms.

"Mill, I totally got you a gift today," David said, his eyes still trained on the screen as I came to join the boys on the couch. "Let me finish this game."

"You talking to your girlfriend?"

I could hear Todd's voice on the other end of their little headsets. I rolled my eyes at that. Jeff laughed, "Like Camilla would ever associate with David."

"Fuck off," David muttered. "Fuck you! Fucking die, little bitch!"

Something happened in their little game, and Jeff threw his controller pretty hard against the ground. It didn't shatter against the carpet, which I considered a miracle.

"Todd, kick his ass," Jeff spoke, clearly frustrated. "You want a beer, Cam?"

"It's four PM," I frowned, but he just stared at me, so I added, "I guess."

Everyone else was drinking. I wanted to fit in. Sue me.

It didn't take too long for David to kill Todd, and he made sure Jeff knew he won. "Suck on that, bitch."

"You are so vulgar for no reason," I commented as David pulled the headset off so he could get up. "This is a Christian household. Plain and simple."

"Last night, you told me you'd suck dick if it meant you didn't have to pay for alcohol. Since when are you a Christian?" Zane raised his eyebrows, defying my statement. Zane was supposed to be the sensible one here, the one that had my back.

"Since today. And where in the bible does it say I can't suck dick?" I laughed.

"I think it's one of those read between the lines things," he said.

"Well, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing," I shrugged. "At least I'm giving him purpose."

"My mom is a serious Catholic. If she heard all the sacrilegious things you people say, she'd have a damn heart attack," Jeff reentered the living room, passing me an already open can. He learned quickly that I'd always ask someone else to open my cans since I had long nails and was absolutely terrified of breaking them.

"Thank you."

"Here," David came back too, his hand extending to show a dainty little silver ring with a little sun on it. "I got this for you."

"Why?" I laughed, taking it out of his hand. It was very cute, but we were barely even friends. We had only met a week ago. It was strange that he'd get me a gift.

"My friend Kristen was selling them for her sorority. She basically forced me to buy one," he said. "If you don't like it, I'll give it to Natalie."

"I'll take it," I smiled, sliding it on my middle finger. "It's cute. Thank you."

"Thank Kristen. She convinced me if I didn't buy it, it was going to be my fault when the Ronald McDonald House doesn't have enough supplies," David laughed.

"Wow, David did something nice for once," Zane pretended to be shocked. "Do you want applause?"

"I'm shaving your head in your sleep."

"Nothing could make me less sexy, so do your worst."

"Let's watch a movie. Or someone teach me how to play the game."

There was something magical about asking a man to teach you something. Suddenly, their only focus was to make sure you completely understood everything they were talking about.

I liked learning about video games with my roommates because they didn't teach me in a condescending manner (probably because it was a video game... how can you be condescending?). It was way different then Brandon showing me how to cook his favorite pasta or teaching me about The Count Of Monte Cristo.

That was my favorite book that we were forced to read in high school, and Brandon still felt the need to explain the plot to me over again, because little Camilla White couldn't possibly understand the intricacies of a classic novel.

Please. I couldn't believe I dated him for five fucking years and didn't try to shoot myself every time I was away from him.

That night, my moms called me to check in on everything. They were my everything as a child. I was adopted when I was seven, and I still remembered the ins and outs of foster care. I still remembered my foster brothers' lingering stares when I changed while we were in our shared bedroom. It was a place I never wanted to be again, and so my moms saved me.

As I grew up, we were just... different. They wanted a louder, more creative child. When I was young and even into high school, I was always super quiet. I was the girl who read at lunch and spent her weekends watching movies and doing homework. I was the kind of girl who sat quietly while my pretentious boyfriend droned on for hours about stupid shit, the kind of girl who wore a cardigan with every outfit, the kind of girl that always threw her hair in a side braid. I think they wanted someone bigger than that, if that makes sense. Someone more lively.

They really started to like me after the breakup, though. I did a complete one eighty. I was suddenly the daughter they wanted, makeup always done and talking openly to people I barely knew. I wasn't so shy and withdrawn.

We still weren't super close; it'd take a while to mend that bridge, but the thought was still nice.

I went to bed that night at peace and happy. Life was moving along, and it was scary, leaving things in the past, but it was necessary.

I saw that ring on etsy and fell a little in love
Xoxo abby

Ps im trying to keep off social media even more than usual. Summer is a bit challenging for my mental health (seeing pretty girls in bikinis when i feel too fat to even wear a bikini is....... not healthy ! Social media makes me physically ill to get on these days !!! Not that i get on it too much before but), so that means ill either be updating a lottttt more or a lottttt less

I find when i completely get off social media, im not on my phone as much in general so probs not writing but then again its summer and i have no friends so imma be so bored i might write who knows