twenty nine

"David! Get down here!" Jeff yelled the second we stepped through the doors of the house. He didn't care about disturbing Zane and his hookup of the night (Erin and Zane got in a huge fight a few days ago and were officially broken up); he wanted me to feel safe. Jeff was an amazing friend. "David! Now! The couch, Cammy? You want to sit on the couch?"

I didn't even answer, just made my way to the couch as I heard the footsteps coming down the stairs. David complained, "Jesus, what? I'm watching a—"

I looked up and made eye contact with him, my face probably red and mascara streaking down my cheeks. My appearance stopped him in his tracks for a moment, then he turned to Jeff and said, "what the fuck did you do to her?"

Jeff raised his hands into the air to show innocence and said, "It wasn't me."

"What happened, princess?" he immediately rushed over to me, pulling my body onto his lap and wrapping his arms around my waist. I laid my head on his chest and just continued to cry, too sad to even speak. He again turned to Jeff, "do you know what happened?"

"I wasn't with her, but from what I gathered, her ex-boyfriend was at the bar," he explained, and I just nodded against David's chest to show that was true.

He sighed, petting my hair and said, "That motherfucker. Did you talk to him?"

I nodded. I finally spit out, "he was just messing with me. God, I'm so stupid. He never ever cared about me. I did everything for him, and he never even cared."

"I'm so sorry I wasn't there. You know I would've rocked his ass, right? You know you're hotter than him. He has nothing on you, Milla. Nothing."

"I loved him."

"I know you did," he tried to think of something else to calm me down, but apparently the words weren't coming to either of us. He repeated, "I know you did."

We sat there for a few more minutes before he asked, "do you want to sleep with me tonight?"

I should've said no. I knew I should've said no. David was just my friend; he didn't want anything more, and my heart was already completely wrapped up in him. I should've been keeping my distance for a few weeks until I could figure out what to do, but instead, I agreed.

"Okay, come on," he struggled to lift me up, but then carried me all the way up the steps to his bedroom. He set me at the edge of the bed and said, "take off your dress. I'll get you a shirt."

I wasn't even embarrassed to be half naked in front of him in a non-sexual way. I slipped my dress over my head and accepted the big black t-shirt he got for me. He asked if I wanted to take off my makeup, and when I didn't answer, he went to my bathroom, grabbed a wipe, and started removing it for me. He discarded the used makeup wipe on his nightstand, then climbed into bed, pulling me up against him. He asked, "Do you feel better now?"

I did, because I was with him, but that fact only made me feel worse. I answered, "Sort of."

"I can't believe he still makes you cry like this. I know you don't want to hear this right now, but you've gotta get over it. He was shitty. It's done."

"I know. I don't cry over him anymore. He caught me off guard," I explained, feeling the tears forming again. "He's not supposed to be here. I came here to get away from him. He ruined my life. He's not supposed to be here."

"It's okay, Camilla. You've got so many people here for you. You're never gonna end up alone with him. So many people are here for you," he paused for a second, then added, "I'm here for you."

"I don't think we should hook up anymore," I said before another confession could slip out of my mouth. This was better. This was easier.

"Okay?" David nodded, sounding confused. No questions, please. I didn't know how to answer whatever questions were coming. "Can I ask why?"