nineteen

I smiled as Jeff handed me the steaming bowl of chicken and rice, a healthy dish that I had somehow convinced him to ruin by adding cheese. All it took was a little reasoning that everyone else was eating it, and we couldn't force them to be on our diet (as if Jeff and I were on the same diet in the first place). He folded easily. All the boys did with me.

"There you are, princess," he sent me a sarcastic smile as he joined me on the couch, and I rolled my eyes.

"Don't call her that," David warned, a serious look on his face. I stared at him with wide eyes, silently asking him what the hell he thought he was doing, but he stayed staring at Jeff.

"You call her that."

"Exactly," David smirked, leaning back in his seat like it hadn't bothered him in the first place. "She's my princess."

"But I'm her favorite roommate," Jeff said. "I make her dinner."

"Dude, you're her least favorite," David laughed. "You make her go to the gym four times a week. How could she not hate you?"

"She loves the gym," Jeff spoke for me, which was in some ways true. I was a bit of a gym rat before I moved colleges, mainly because it was the only place I had to myself. Everywhere I went was Brandon or Brandon's friends talking to me because I was Brandon's girlfriend. At the gym, I could finally be alone. "She just doesn't like leaving her bed to go."

David said, "Exactly. So she hates you."

"Zane's my favorite," I spoke to end the fight, which wasn't necessarily a fight but it did make me extremely uncomfortable. "He plays games with me, and he tells me about all of his family drama."

Zane stuck out his hand for a silent fistbump, his mouth full.

"I play games with you," Jeff frowned.

"Your games," I countered. "I don't like shooting games. No one ever plays Mario Kart or Just Dance with me."

"I'm her favorite," David spoke.

"I just said Zane was my favorite," I argued, staring at him so he wouldn't say anything stupid in return, like I was your favorite last week when you were in my bed. I wouldn't put it past him. "Nobody listens to me around here."

"Are you sad that I'm leaving Sunday?" Zane pouted his lip out, and I nodded. Thanksgiving break was just a few days away, and everyone was packing up to head home soon. I wasn't leaving until Tuesday so I didn't have to be home for a long time, but Jeff and Zane were all leaving pretty soon. I hadn't heard a word from David about his plans, but I was sure he was going home around the same time as I was.

"Life is going to suck without you, Zane."

I was only being a little bit sarcastic.

David took full advantage of our two and a half days alone in the house. On Sunday, just a few hours after Zane had departed, he was standing in my doorway with a smirk on his face.

"What are you doing right now?" he asked, though he could clearly see I was laying on my bed doing nothing.

"Nothing. Why?" I asked, but part of me already knew the answer.

"We should do something."

"Like watch a movie?" I tried to be subtle, but the blush burning my cheeks and my slightly shaky hands were enough to immediately give me away.

"I was thinking more like make a movie," he raised his eyebrows cheekily, and I showed him just how beautiful my middle finger was. "I heard amateurs are making a lot on Pornhub these days."

"I'm not making a fucking porno with you," I laughed, turning my attention back to my phone. I hoped to seem aloof and unaffected, but it came off as nervous. I grabbed the glass of water off my side table to distract myself.

"So not a movie..." he trailed off. "We can practice, though, yeah?"

"You want to... do that? Now?" I asked, the hand holding my water beginning to shake.

"If you want to. But yes."

"Why don't you call Natalie? Or some other girl?" I asked. I wasn't trying to sound condescending, but it was confusing to me. He told me Halloween was a one time thing. He was helping me get into the groove, and that was it. I thought the second time would be the last time. I hesitantly initiated it, but swore it was just because I was lonely and not because I wanted to make it a regular thing with him.

"Because you're already here," he replied, but it seemed like he was hiding something. I took my glasses off to stare at him, feeling too nervous to actually look at him clearly. "And you're my favorite."

"Oh, I'm that good, huh?" I giggled, now aware that he had to be messing with me.

"No," he spoke, and I tried to hide my frown. You'd think a guy trying to get into your pants would be a little nicer to you. "You're just different. And I like it."

"What does that mean?"

"You're shy," he said, taking it upon himself to enter my room. "I like watching you."

"That's not creepy at all."

"It's not," he spoke confidently. "You're shy, and when I do things to you, you're not. It's hot."

"Come here," I patted the space on the bed next to me. "This is a horrible idea."

"Why? No one's home."

"Once or twice can be an accident, but I'd say three times establishes a pattern."

"What's wrong with a pattern?" his tone was innocent.

"Well, we're roommates," I started on my long list of reasons why this was a terrible idea while David's hand started moving slowly up my thigh. "We are inevitably going to have some kind of issue with each other eventually, and then things are going to be very awkward."

"They haven't been awkward yet," he shifted so he was laying facing me, his hand still on my upper thigh. "And what kind of issue?"

"I don't know."

"I mean, if you don't want to, I'll leave," he dramatically sighed and pushed himself up like he was gonna leave, but I grabbed him by the arm before he could. He looked at me with a smile. "So you're down?"

"This is a bad idea," I repeated my earlier worries, but I didn't stop him when he started leaning in to kiss me.

"Yeah," he sighed against my mouth. "It is."

I just...... am so lonely

Xoxo abby