twenty seven

Once I got Natalie out of my hair, I never went downstairs to get a drink. I knew it was now or never; this was my last test of this particular class since my professor didn't believe in finals week and booked a cruise for his wife too early. That meant once this test was over, I was finally done with at least that class, and I wasn't gonna let one boring night of drinking at home ruin that for me.

David was laying in my bed alone, staring at the ceiling when I finally came down, exhausted. He glanced over at me at the sound of my footsteps and smiled when we made eye contact. "I didn't want to bother you, so I just got in your bed. I thought you might've fallen asleep up there."

"I was in the zone," I told him, dropping off my computer and books on my desk and climbing in next to him. "You could've kicked me out when everyone left. I had no clue they were gone."

"You were in the zone," he half mocked me, a lazy, sleepy smile on his face. "I knew you were doing some good work up there."

"What'd Matt say about me?" I asked. Of course I already knew the answer, but I wanted to see how he would tell the story.

"Nothing important," he answered like he was hiding something. He was only trying to protect me. "He's a bigger douche than I thought he was."

"I heard you kicked him out."

"I did," he kind of laughed. "Not gonna let him talk shit about you in your own house."

"I appreciate that," I told him, and I really did. I didn't like the idea that I was upstairs oblivious while Scott grilled Matt about why I hadn't had sex with him.

"Come here," he opened his arms and allowed me to snuggle in. It was clear to me that he didn't want to talk about it; he didn't want me to question the motives behind his choice. "It's late. Sleep."

"Okay."

Zane would tell me months later that he'd went to wake me up that morning for a grocery run before my afternoon class, but we looked so peaceful and perfectly intertwined that he just let me sleep. For that, he would forever be my favorite roommate.

David did wake me up around 10:00 to tell me he was making me breakfast.

Seriously. He shook me awake like the house was on fire, and when I stared at him with wide eyes and asked what he was doing, he simply said, "I was just gonna tell you that I was about to make us some breakfast."

"Why'd you wake me up to tell me that?" I frowned and rubbed my eyes, confused.

"Because I know you don't like to eat when you first wake up. So I thought I'd wake you up earlier so you'd be able to eat," he nervously played with the cuff of his sweatshirt, like he wasn't sure if he made the right move. "Sorry. You can go back to sleep."

"No, that is... thoughtful," I nodded. "Thank you. What are you gonna make?"

"No clue. I heard Zane come in with groceries earlier, so I guess we'll see what he got."

I laughed at that, "You heard him come in with groceries and you didn't even get up to help him?"

"I was comfy!" David defended himself. "Zane's a big boy. He can handle it."

"I'm gonna tell him you didn't help him."

"Like I give a shit," David scoffed, then left me alone to go cook. I took my time getting up and doing my usual morning routine, fixing my hair into a ponytail and washing my face. Knowing I only had one class that day, I didn't even bother with makeup. I slid on a clean sweatshirt and some leggings and decided I had done enough. "Millie, it's ready."

"I'm coming," I told him, hoping no one else was home. While I did love having all the boys together, it was sometimes better to have one on one time. Zane was very loud, which could only be fun when I wasn't sleep deprived and worried about failing a test. Jeff would no doubt be judgmental of David's breakfast choice, which consisted of hashbrowns with a slice of Kraft cheese on them and toast with butter.

I had no complaints; I was a carb lover for life and I knew I was going to the gym with Jeff that night, but he'd surely have something to say if he was home.

"Ketchup?" David asked, and I nodded as I plopped into one of the barstools.

"Yes, please. This looks good."

"I'd consider myself a bit of a chef," he shrugged with too much confidence. "Maybe I'll open a restaurant one day."

"A Waffle House?" I laughed.

"A Waffle Home, Camilla."

I passed my test, if you doubted me, and the rest of my day went pretty smoothly. It wasn't until the next day that anything mildly interesting happened.

"Hey, Camilla? Can you come out here?" Jeff yelled from the living room.

It was around noon, and I had yet to roll out of my bed. I heard the boys leave around ten, but I didn't feel the need to ask them where they were going. My jaw dropped when I saw David, slumped over on the couch, tears falling down his face randomly and cheeks swollen. I asked, "Oh my god, is he okay?"

"Milla, here," he sat up a little, opening his arms. He was asking me to join him. "Here, Milla. Why didn't you come?"

"He got his wisdom teeth out," Zane answered for me. "He was funnier earlier, but for the last ten minutes of the car ride, he was crying because he was hurting and asking for you."

I climbed onto the couch next to him, letting him wrap his arms around me. He asked again, "Why didn't you come?"

"I didn't even know you were getting them out," I answered honestly. "Do you feel okay?"

"It hurts," he whined, dropping his drooling chin onto my shoulder. "Hurts bad."

I stared up at the other two boys and pouted out my lips to show that he was making me sad. Jeff said, "Dave, you wanna go to your bed? To sleep?"

"I can't move."

"We'll help you up," Zane told him. "You'll feel better in your bed."

He pulled away from me to look me in the eyes and ask, "Are you gonna come sleep?"

I smiled softly at him and nodded. "Let me get some food while they take you upstairs, okay? Then I'll be up there."

"Don't forget," he warned me as Zane and Jeff helped him up. I childishly mocked him behind his back, then made my way to the kitchen to find a snack. I ended up eating a granola bar and decided I'd make me and David some mashed potatoes later when he felt like eating.

With a sigh of exasperation as I passed the clearly exhausted boys coming back down the stairs, I made my way into David's room. I wasn't mad at David; it was actually pretty cute that he was sad and just wanted to go to sleep with me. That being said, I was a little worried at how obvious he had made it that we were hooking up. It made no sense for him to ask for me. I guessed we could pretend it was just because I was a woman, and therefore supposed to be the most nurturing (plus a straight man like David would never be caught dead cuddling with another guy).

"Finally," he seemed to sigh in relief that I was there, which made the fact that he was rushing me a little bit cuter. "My face hurts."

"I know, I'm sorry," I settled into his bed and let him place his head on my chest, even though I knew it meant I'd have drool all over one of my favorite sweatshirts. That's love right there. "Did they give you medicine?"

"Yeah, can't take more until dinner," he whined. "I'm going to sleep now."

"Okay, baby," I laughed at the fact that he felt the need to inform me. "Goodnight. I'll make you dinner later."

"Milla," he looked up at me, cheeks swollen and tears still running down his face. "You're my best friend, okay? Don't tell anyone."

"I won't," I smiled, smoothing his messy hair down. "You're mine, too."

I watched the videos where david got his wisdom teeth out today and hes just so precious id legit die for that man i would

Xoxo abby