thirteen

"What the hell did you say to her? She's like completely fine now," I heard Jeff say to David as we walked into the bar, my arm twisted through Zane's.

"I just told her what she needed to hear. Don't worry about it."

"You're good with her, man. Kinda creepy."

"Shut up," David laughed. "I'm just a little less dick-ish than you."

"Mhm," I could practically hear the smirk in Jeff's voice through the buzz of the crowd. "Whatever you say."

"Cammy!" Natalie cheered as she first spotted me, holding onto the table for dear life and clearly past drunk. "You're here! You left your room!"

"Just for you, baby," I smiled, giving her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. "You having fun?"

"Yep," she smirked. "This old guy bought me like three drinks."

"An old guy? Here?" I frowned because Triple B was basically just college kids at all times.

"Yeah, his name was Jason," she laughed. "His son Wyatt goes here. I flirted with him for drinks, but since he's so old, he left pretty early. Now I've just been chilling. Let me get you a drink."

"I—"

"Beat you to it," David wrapped an arm over my shoulder, the cup with a pinkish liquid dangling in front of my face. "Milla's been so sober all week. Someone's gotta get her fucked up."

"What a gentleman," Kristen, Scott's girlfriend, laughed. "Looks like you're set for the night since Matt's not coming."

"He's not? Why not?" I frowned. Me and Matt weren't the best of friends, but he was funny and I liked his accent. Talking to him on the weekends did bring me some form of peace, and not just because he liquored me up until I couldn't see straight and then let me go home alone (though I was immensely grateful for that too).

"He has a cold. He's so fucking dramatic when he's sick," Scott said with a chuckle. "The dude acts like he's about to fucking keel over. So annoying."

"That doesn't surprise me at all," I giggled, pulling out my phone to send him a quick and simple hope you feel better soon!! text. He was always nice to me, so it was only fair that I returned the favor. Maybe I'd send him a basket tomorrow if I wasn't too hungover to move, though I doubted it. The way Jeff immediately shoved another drink in my hand after I finished my first one let me know that it was going to be a long night.

It was fun. It was freeing. I was glad that I went.

By the time midterms came around, I was so exhausted from studying that I didn't even care if I passed or failed them. I just wanted to take my tests then go lay in my room and stare at the ceiling for three hours. I was that drained.

I didn't get that wish, though. I finished my final exam on Thursday at around four o'clock and decided to treat myself to a coffee and a cheese danish for trying. I had only gotten two of my grades back (A's on both), so I figured I did okay on everything. I just wouldn't tell Jeff about the danish. The only calories he accepted that weren't plant based or full of protein were alcoholic ones, so he didn't need to know about my life.

I ate my food quickly on my walk back to my car, then drove home, ready to finally relax. I was already planning to skip my two classes the next day. My brain was unable to handle any more information. I needed a day off after all the studying I did.

I got home to a driveway full of cars, and for the first time in the past two weeks, I was glad that people were over. Now that I didn't feel so weighed down by the fear of failure, I was ready to relax.

I unlocked the door and walked in to see one of those rainbow happy birthday banners taped to the ball, a few sad, stray balloons on the floor, and lots of alcohol on the counter. Everyone turned when I walked in and yelled, "Surprise!"

"I don't know who told you it was my birthday, but they were lying. My birthday's in April," I laughed.

"Oh, that was just the most festive thing we found in Walgreen's," Zane explained. "We're partying because you finished all your midterms."

"Don't you have an eight AM exam tomorrow?" I asked him with wide eyes, and he chuckled and nodded.

"Yeah," he shrugged, not caring at all. "I'll figure that out when it comes time. Come get a drink, bitch."

"You did this all for me?" I smiled at him as I approached him and he wrapped his arm around me. It wasn't as if they had done anything extensive or redecorated the whole house, but the thought was still sweet.

"Technically, it was David's idea first, but me and Jeff got all the stuff," he told me. I had noticed David's absense when I first walked in, but it felt rude to say anything when everyone else, including Natalie, Todd, Corinna, and Scott, were here to celebrate. Natalie and Corinna were even sitting relatively near each other with no fighting, all for me.

"Where is David?" I asked, feeling weird that I cared.

"He should be back soon. He had to go to the dentist," Zane said. He looked a little too smug when he smirked and asked, "Why, you miss him?"

"Don't be mad that I like him more than you," I teased with a smile. "Jealousy is a disease, bitch. Get well soon."

"Don't talk shit. I'd rather be Jeff than David."

"Why? Because Jeff's hot?"

"You think I'm hot?" Jeff slid in next to me, replacing Zane's arm that was once around my shoulders with his own. "I don't know if I'm comfortable living in the same house as you anymore."

"But I'm the best member of this house," I pretended to pout (mainly for attention... do not judge). "I clean everything. And I'm pretty."

"We couldn't live without you, Millie," Jeff smiled, already intoxicated. "We needed a girl around here to whip us into shape."

"Pachoo," I made the whip noise at him, flicking my wrist.

"I fucking hate you guys."

Ps this book in particular has a lot of alcohol in it. Please dont drink if you arent in a safe environment!!! And please never go past your limits, u always think u can drink more but you could be seriously damaging your health!!! Stay safe yall and please NEVER go to a random mans house just to drink like i promise its not fun enough to risk your safety/life !!!!

Xoxo abby