thirty two

We somehow made it through our Christmas eve dinner without too many more arguments. Alejandro's dad made a few too many comments that were right on the verge of homophobic, but every time I opened my mouth to defend him, Karmen gave me a look that told me it wasn't worth it.

It really wasn't. Nothing could ever change their horrid opinions. I doubted that Antonio would ever care about Alejandro again, even on his death bed. Isadora would never be nicer. There was no point in even fighting with them.

That didn't mean that I was comfortable, though. I sat there with a locked jaw and a bouncing leg the entire time. The only thing that even remotely calmed me down was David's thumb lightly sweeping over the back of my hand every time I tensed up. He was the only reason I didn't go absolutely apeshit.

Christmas morning was much, much better. We started by opening presents. I had opened Alejandro's the night before since it wasn't "family appropriate". It really wasn't. It was a box of condoms, a huge box of condoms. I laughed and thanked him, watching as he wiggled his eyebrows at David, who only blushed in response. It was nice to see him shy. He could be a little too cocky for me sometimes.

After a nice pancake breakfast, we all sat around the tree and began opening presents. My grandparents gave me money, as always, and my parents got me a new perfume and a really nice blanket.

I didn't really expect a gift from David, but he still got me one.

"Here," he awkwardly smiled as he passed a poorly wrapped box to me. My jaw dropped in a poor attempt to hide my smile.

"You got me a present?"

"Yeah," he started playing with the cuffs of his sweatshirt. "You didn't get me one?"

"I did. I just didn't expect you to get me one."

"Open it," he instructed, and I nodded, feeling all eyes on me. Inside the box were three different items: Swedish Fish (my favorite candy), a candle, and The Sims 4 for Playstation.

"Oh my gosh!" I smiled as I took out the game, turning to stare at him. "You got me a game!"

"So you'd have something you could play," he explained. "And the candle is the one you smelled in the store the other day and liked. And you love Swedish Fish."

I couldn't believe he even remembered the candle thing. I mentioned it in passing; I only quickly sniffed it and said smells good before continuing on our journey. "Thank you! Are we gonna play together?"

"When we get home, we can," he smiled. I
reached forward and grabbed his bag, handing it to him.

I said, "Mine's kind of bad, so. Sorry."

He took out the waterproof speaker first and looked over at me with a frown. "Was this expensive?"

"No. I got it for you because you sing in the shower."

He blushed at that, especially when he heard my grandpa chuckling at him. My entire family was now pretending not to be listening, but I knew good and well that they were a bunch of eavesdroppers. He then pulled out the sweatshirt and frowned again. "This was expensive."

It was a Champion sweatshirt, not the Walmart kind, and he was right. "It wasn't too bad. It reminded me of you. Because it's black."

"I'm paying you back for this."

"No, you aren't."

Karmen and Angie got David a little stocking filled with a bunch of candy and little trinkets like Christmas socks, a McDonald's gift card and a stress ball. It was really random and kind of a shitty gift, but he was smiling like a little kid the entire time he opened it, so I considered it a win.

It occurred to me that that could've been David's first real Christmas gift from parents, which broke my heart and healed it all at once.

We went home the day before New Year's eve. It had been a nice little trip other than the Christmas eve incident, and David treated me like his girlfriend the whole time, which was both very weird and very exciting.

I wondered how it would be when we got home. I didn't want to act like that in front of everyone, especially since we weren't technically dating and there was no guarantee that it wouldn't all go wrong before we started.

Believe it or not, our friends had a New Year's Eve party planned, and it was set to be hosted at our house. I spent most of the day decorating even though everyone told me it wasn't necessary. I just thought it was important. New Year's Eve practically begged for glitz and glamour, and if that meant I had to spend all of New Year's day picking up glitter and confetti off our living room floor... that was a risk I was willing to take.

Everyone came. Except Matt, who no longer really showed his face around us. It might've been the text I sent him after he basically called me easy (which made no sense, since he couldn't even handle the challenge). I told him he was stupid for even thinking I wouldn't find out about him trash talking me and that I never would've slept with him anyway. He never answered me, but he did read it, which gave me some form of satisfaction.

The party was raging all night. It was very loud (I was surprised the cops weren't called) and very alcoholic. We had popped probably twenty bottles of champagne by the time midnight rolled around, and even then, it felt like we were just getting started.

I was drunk, very drunk, which was the only reason I did... this.

"Stop staring at me," David laughed through the buzz of the crowd. They were all getting ready to count down, just thirty seconds from the new year. "Totally blowing our cover, Milla."

"I'm not staring at you," I giggled drunkenly, knowing I was lying. He was just too pretty not to stare at, especially when he was in his element, laughing with his friends.

"You are. You seriously couldn't make it more obvious if you tried."

And the countdown began.

"Oh, I couldn't?"

"Not a chance," he smirked, but I wiped the smug look off his face the second the group screamed happy new year!

I placed my hands on either side of his face and pulled him down to kiss me, smiling into his mouth. I pulled back just a little to say, "How's that for obvious?"

He grinned, said, "Happy new year, Millie," and leaned in to kiss me again.

My heart is beating like a little kid I LOVE THEM