forty eight

"Hey... Milla... princess, wake up," the light hand on my shoulder that I knew to be David's tried to shake me.

"I'm hungover. Just thirty more minutes," I grumbled, refusing to even open my eyes to look at him.

"It's already one," he told me. "And I think we need to get you to a hospital."

My eyes shot open at that, and I stared at his concerned face. I asked, "Wait... why? Is something wrong with me?"

"Look at your hand."

I followed his instructions wearily, my eyes scanning down my arm to see my hand resting on his chest. It was swollen (seriously, it looked like I was wearing a Mickey Mouse glove) and eight different shades of purple and black. I looked back at David with a shocked expression and said, "Jesus Christ. I thought it was just a little bruised."

"I have a bad feeling it's broken," he said. "I'm sorry. It's my fault."

"No, it isn't," I rolled my eyes, sitting up. Even lifting my hand off of him hurt, and I thought back to the night before. Was my drunkenness and adrenaline really clouding my judgment to how much pain I was in? "It's my fault. I could've gone a little easier on her if I wanted to."

"I don't know if that's true," he half laughed.

"It's not. I snapped like a feral gorilla," I explained. "Like, seriously, I think that could've resulted in a murder."

"Not the words you want to hear from your girlfriend," he joked. "If you end up on Snapped, and you murdered me, I will haunt you for the rest of your life."

"I won't kill you... unless you mess with me."

"I love you."

"Yeah, get used to saying that," I pressed a quick kiss to his lips, wary of morning breath. "Let me get a little ready. I need to take off Sydney's clothes."

Sydney let me borrow some more cozy sleeping attire since we were staying the night. Though they were cute and soft and definitely an item I questioned stealing, I was way too insecure to walk into the hospital in some tiny, thin pajamas.

I changed with one hand and brushed my teeth and had David help me pull my hair into a braid, which required a little bit of yelling and a lot of laughing. He didn't quite understand the whole "take the right side and make it the middle piece, then do the same with the left" idea until about five minutes in.

Ilya and Sydney tried to make us stay for lunch, but one look at my hand and they agreed now wasn't the best time for a sober catch up session. While David was busy with Sydney, Ilya pulled me to the side. He said, "Thank you for coming. I know damn well David wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you."

"It only took a little convincing," I joked. "We had fun. I'm sure he'll be back again."

"Take care of my boy, okay?" he smiled at me, a smile that seemed quite sad. He gestured to my hand and continued, "I know you will, but... that's my best friend. He's had a pretty shitty life, so. He needs someone looking out for him."

"You don't have to worry about me," I looked over at David, who was looking at Sydney's ring like he knew anything at all about rings, smiling to appease her bragging. "I've always got his back."

"I know you do. I'm so glad you're the one he ended up with," Ilya half laughed, pulling me in for a hug. "You two are welcome any time, okay? We'll be sending out wedding invitations soon enough, and I'm expecting you there."

"Oh, I'll be there."

"Hands off my girlfriend, Feddy, or I'll fuck you up."

Ilya laughed at that and teased, "It seems like she's the only one fucking people up in this relationship."