twenty three

"So... David, huh?" Alejandro raised his eyebrows at me all too smugly as we stood side by side doing the dishes. David was downstairs showering after our last group breakfast before we had to go, leaving us to clean up. Well, leaving me to clean up. Alejandro was only drying the dishes... at half the rate I was washing them.

"What about him?" I asked, feigning innocence, but something about his tone had made me think. David... there was just something about David that made me never want to leave his side.

"You've got a fat ass crush on him. It's all over your face, dude."

"I don't."

"You do," he argued, still smiling. "It's cute. You guys move in sync. You know what he's thinking without him even saying it."

"I don't like David. We're just friends. That's really weird."

"You brought him to our family thanksgiving, bro..." he trailed off like that was a solid point. "I'm sorry, but that's a boyfriend-girlfriend thing. I'm not judging you; he's hot. And way funnier and nicer than Doucheface."

Doucheface was Brandon.

"I don't like David," I repeated, hoping to put an end to the conversation.

"You do a lot for him for a guy you claim not to like," his suspicious tone irked me.

It became clear to me at that moment that he was a little bit right. There was very little I wouldn't do for David Dobrik if he asked.

I felt the sudden urge to blurt, "We're hooking up." and immediately regretted it.

Alejandro, thankfully, didn't look too surprised. In fact, he didn't look surprised at all. He looked at me like I was half insane and said, "Duh, idiot. I've known that since you walked through the door. And again, you brought him to our Thanksgiving."

"I would've brought anyone to our Thanksgiving if they didn't have a place to go."

"But you brought David."

"I don't think your point is as strong as you think it is," I laughed.

"Do you have a crush on him? Be honest. It's not like I'm gonna tell the man," he said, but I had a feeling if he got the chance he absolutely would. He was a dick like that.

"I seriously don't. We're just friends."

"... with benefits," he smirked in a way that made me want to slap him.

"Finish the dishes yourself, idiot. I have to pack."

I went downstairs to pack up all of my things, grabbing some extra sweatshirts from my closet and shoving them in my bag until I could barely zip it. David had finished showering earlier and headed upstairs to throw his bag in the car.

"You're taking care of our girl, right? We're nervous with her so far away."

Though I was downstairs gathering up the last of my things, I could still hear my parents berating David. Lovely. Not embarrassing at all.

"Oh, yeah, of course," he replied, and I could only imagine the nervous smile on his face and the jumpy nod.

"Good. She needs someone looking out for her."