fifty

There are very few people you meet that genuinely change your life. David was one of them. There was a Camilla White before David and a Camilla White after David, and she was so much better than I could ever imagine.

David was the one person on this earth who never failed to make me feel like I truly belonged. No one had ever loved me so openly and unconditionally. No one had ever shared in my triumphs and shared in my defeats. There was no one that could make me laugh like he could, no one who could completely alter my mood like he could, no one who could make me feel like he could.

It was like when I met him, he opened me up to a whole new world of emotions I had never felt. I had known love, but I hadn't known true love, love that could break barriers and climb fences and reach across the world. Love that was so obnoxious and obvious that everyone else in the room could feel it, too. Love that you could bask in, like sitting in a stream of light on the counter in front of the kitchen window. Love that warmed you to the core.

That being said, it wasn't much of a surprise when we decided to get married. We waited until I graduated college. By then, we had our own house just down the street from my parents. David had been working since he graduated a semester early, and with my parents' help, we were able to secure a cute little two bedroom house with emerald green shutters and lots of flowers (thanks to my florist mother, of course).

The only thing left was the wedding. It wasn't as big as you'd expect, my family and our college friends and some of David's high school friends. Ilya was David's best man, and boy did he have a lot to say in his toast.

"David called me a week before he proposed to Camilla and told me his plan," Ilya started his speech. "Now, if you know David, you know he's never sure of anything. He takes twenty minutes to pick a restaurant and will scroll through every single movie on Netflix before going back to the first one that piqued his interest. I knew this, and I asked him if he was sure that was what he wanted. He told me, I've been sure for the past two years, and I knew."

"Easiest decision of my life," David mumbled to me, squeezing my hand, and I smiled at him.

"The first time I met Camilla, I have to admit I thought she was a little... different," Ilya smiled at me, and we both knew what that meant. Everyone laughed at that, only a few knowing the truth. "A little crazy. Crazy in the best way, though. I knew she was perfect for David from the moment I met her. I grew up with David. I've seen him have crushes and be happy and be sad and this... this was so different. He literally lit up when she walked in the room. He stared at her while she was talking like she was the fucking Pope and anything she said was vitally important to him. I mean, I thought I loved my wife, but nothing could ever compare to the way that these two love each other."

Sydney Fedorovich gave me a look at that comment, like she wasn't too happy about it, but we both laughed upon making eye contact.

"If you don't believe in love, I think you can look at these two and completely change your mind. They are by far the best match anyone could make, and I'm so happy they found each other," he lifted his champagne glass and added, "To a long and happy marriage. Cheers!"

"Cheers!" David and I clinked our little champagne glasses together, then stood to hug Ilya.

"You been writing that one for a while, huh?" David mumbled, and Ilya chuckled to himself.

"Nah. I wrote it this morning, actually. I'm just good with words," he confidently shrugged. "You two make it easy."

"Hey!" Jeff yelled to get everyone's attention. "I know that was good, but Ilya's not the only one who gets to make a speech. He may have been David's high school best friend, but I was David and Millie's college best friend."

"We should sit," I raised my eyebrows in surprise at Jeff's words, and then we say down. I glanced up at him, waving my hand in a bored manner. "Go on."

He smirked at me like he knew I was excited for him to speak.

"The day Camilla White moved into our house was the day that all of our lives changed forever, but considering we're sitting at Millie and David's wedding, I'd say he was a little more affected by her than the rest of us," Jeff started his speech, and everyone laughed. "We all agreed she'd be off limits, but David always liked her. He would've never said it to anyone, but he had the biggest soft spot for her. Anything she would've asked him to do, he would've done."

"That's not even true," I mumbled to David, who stared at me like I was insane.

"Are you kidding? I played Just Dance with you. I was fucking in love with you."

"Hey, quiet on set," Zane teased, giving Jeff a chance to continue.

"Thank you, Zane. Zane can attest to this... odd behavior. We all loved Camilla, but David treated her like a princess. Zane and I knew, about two weeks in, that something was going to happen between them. It was only a matter of time. Because as much as David liked her, she liked him right back."

I blushed and shrugged when David raised his eyebrows at me, pretending to be indifferent even though I definitely was not. One thing they never talk about with weddings is how awkward it is when everyone watches you talk about how deeply in love you are. I mean, I could barely get through my vows without laughing, and David breaking down in tears during his had me desperately holding back a laugh so as not to seem heartless.

"I've never met two people who clicked so easily. These two could be locked in a room together for six months straight and never get bored," he shook his head when he said that, as if it shocked him that we were like that. "I swear, we go to any type of social setting and these two are always in their own corner laughing to themselves. They're always in their own little world. So congratulations to both of you for finding your person, and an even bigger congratulations to David for snagging someone that far out of his league."

David rolled his eyes at that, but I had to smile.

We danced and laughed and left our tiny little wedding a whole lot happier than we were that morning.

"Where do you want to go? Our flight isn't until noon tomorrow."

"Anywhere," I couldn't stop smiling just looking at David sitting in his tux next to me, a silver ring on his finger. "Take me anywhere."

Thank u and goodnight

no seriously thank u all so much for reading this u have no idea how much it means to me <3 like writing is my only hobby it brings me joy and im so glad to have u all along for the ride i love you all

And be on the lookout 👀 maybe a new book will be out soon

Xoxo abby