thirty seven

"Can you stop cleaning and come hang out?" Zane complained from where he was reclined on the couch.

"Seriously, this is the only time I feel like I can be friends with you," Jeff added.

"We're friends all the time, and there are crumbs on the counter," I spoke, and they both gave me dirty looks. "We're literally roommates, guys."

"But you're always with your boyfriend now," Zane seemed disgusted to even spit the word out. "Can't you clean when he gets back? You didn't feel the need to clean this morning when you were in bed with him."

"Is it that big of an issue?" I asked, and they both nodded. I sighed, tossing the rag onto the counter. "You two are seriously children."

"We never get to hang out anymore."

"Dude, me and David are in the living room seventy percent of the time. I've already told you guys you're always welcome to sit with us, and no one ever wants to. How do you think I feel? I keep putting myself out there, and no one cares enough to be my friend."

"Sorry, Mill, you know I love you, but I'm not gonna sit here while you give David a handjob under the blanket to spice up your sex life," Zane told me, and Jeff turned his nose up at the thought.

"As if I would ever do that," I scoffed. "I'm apparently not as horny as you guys. You can't blame me for not hanging out when you're always avoiding me."

"Can we play Mario Kart or something?" Jeff finally sighed. "That's the only thing that will keep you interested in us, yeah?"

"I hate you guys. But yes."

David was at class then going to a late lunch with Natalie, so me and the other boys hung out most of the day. Jeff convinced us to hit the gym with him by making us a nice lunch of avocado toast and soft boiled eggs. It was the healthiest I had been in a while, and it helped that Zane was there.

When Zane was there, he complained so much that I didn't even feel the need to. It made me feel more athletic, and it made Jeff way less mad at me, so I considered it a good thing.

By the time we got home, I was definitely ready for my daily nap, but since David still wasn't back, I persevered and did some work for one of my online classes. I knew once he returned all I'd want to do is hang out with him, so I had to do it.

The two other boys sat with me in the living room and also worked on homework, though they didn't do much work. They were always busy cracking jokes and hitting each other, for some reason. They never ceased to amaze me how they never got tired.

"David must be cheating on you," Zane said around five. "He's been gone for a long time."

"Thanks," I sarcastically replied, rolling my eyes at his negative words. "He's with Natalie."

"Who he used to fuck."

"Zane," Jeff got harsh quick. For that moment in time, he moved up to my number one roommate. "Don't be a dick."

"It was a joke, jeez," he huffed.

"You forgetting about the douchebag who cheated on her last time?" Jeff seemed appalled. It made me uncomfortable, them fighting over my feelings. "That's not even funny."

"It's fine," I smiled at Jeff, grateful for his protection though I didn't need it. "He wouldn't do that."

"He obviously is way too obsessed with you," he told me. "He seriously wouldn't. Don't listen to this fuckhead."

"I'm not."

"I forgot about Brandon," Zane seemed sheepish as he said it. "Sorry. David would never cheat on you."

"It's fine. It was a joke," I tried to reassure him. "Don't worry about it."

"Want me to get you ice cream?" he asked, and I sighed.

"I want you to stop treating me like a high schooler," I said honestly. "You're not gonna make me cry about my shitty ex boyfriend. I'm over it, seriously. You can make your dumb jokes. They are dumb, by the way."

"... I know."

It got a little awkward after that, for some reason, even though I really didn't care. Jeff did, though, and I could feel the hostility between the two. Zane eventually left to take a shower, and Jeff asked, "You sure you're good?"

"Dude," I laughed. "I do not care. I'm serious. I mean it's funny, looking back on it."

"I don't like that he said that."

"I know," I nodded. "But I'm fine with it, so you should be too. It's not a big deal. Don't be mad at him. That's just Zane. Don't tell David, please."

"Why?" Jeff scoffed. "He can't just be a dick and get away with it."

"Jeffrey, please," I begged, giving him my best set of puppy dog eyes. "I really don't want him to know. I think it'll make him mad."

"He should be mad."

"I should be mad about what?"

I gasped, whipping around to see David standing in the kitchen with a water bottle in his hand. I asked, "how the fuck did you get in here?"

"I took my house key off for Todd and forgot to put it back on. The back door's unlocked," he said. "What should I be mad about?"

I stared at Jeff until he said, "Nothing, dude. We were talking about Zane."

"Why would Zane be mad at Mill?" David furrowed his brows.

"She told me I was her favorite roommate," Jeff smirked with such confidence that I almost believed I said that out loud. I was glad he was so quick on his feet, because if the lie was up to me, we would've been screwed. I smiled at him to let him know I was proud of him.

"I'm her favorite roommate," David laughed, and I rolled my eyes at his cockiness.

"I don't know," I singsonged. "I've been with Jeff all day. He's really growing on me."

"Where were you?" Jeff asked. I think he knew I wanted to know, but that it'd seem crazy if I asked him, so he did it for me. Again, Jeff accelerated in the polls of favorite roommate. He really had my back today.

"Sorry, I smoked with Natalie and couldn't drive home until now," he directed his statement towards me. "Look what I got us from Target, though."

He walked over with a Target bag in his hands and pulled out... two sets of silk pajamas. Both were women's. One was black and the other was light purple.

I just stared at them, a light smile on my face, until he added excitedly, "They're matching pajamas!"

"I see that."

"Dude..." Jeff slowly chuckled. "You are fucking whipped."

"Shut the fuck up," he rolled his eyes, then brought his attention back to me. "You don't like them?"

He seemed a bit upset, which broke my heart.

"Um, I love them," I told him with a smile. "Can we wear them tonight?"

"Duh!"

"I've gotta get the fuck outta here," Jeff slammed his laptop shut. "This is too much for me. This is way too much for me."

"He doesn't understand love," I told David, who nodded like he agreed. "I'm gonna shower and shave and stuff. They'll feel better if I'm shaved."

"Oh, am I allowed to join?"

"Duh," I mocked him, a cheesy smile on my face. "I'm so excited. We should build a fort."

"You read my fucking mind."

The perfume pics BROKE ME she needs to step away :) but the pajamas were too cute to not write about

Xoxo abby