eleven

For the next three days, I stayed in my room every time I was home, locking my door and turning up my music every time David tried to talk to me. It just wasn't a nice thing to say, and while all of us had gotten used to our daily teasing, that didn't make what he said okay.

I was well aware that I loved the worst male on earth. I was painfully aware that he had not once cared about me in the five years that I had known him. I knew he used me to make himself happy and as his personal maid and his in-home therapist. Trust me, I thought about it for hours every night before I went to bed. I didn't need Dickhead David reminding me that I had wasted a quarter of my life being submissive and obedient to a guy who couldn't care less about me.

He finally cornered me on Tuesday night. Jeff was out with Carly and Zane was nowhere to be found. David yelled that he was leaving to go hang out with Natalie, and I heard the door open and close, so I thought it was safe.

I was sat on the couch invested in American Horror Story when he waltzed back into the house, his hands full of flowers and a McDonald's bag. I glanced up at him, too comfortable to move, and asked, "Where's Natalie?"

"I didn't go to Natalie's. These are for you," he approached me with the fucking roses, and as much as I hated to admit it, all my anger vanished immediately. No one had ever gotten me flowers before. Even at high school graduation, my moms thought they'd be wilted by the end, so they just didn't get them. "I sincerely apologize for my actions on Friday. It was a dick move, and I will never do it again. I don't like when you're mad at me."

"Is the McDonald's for me too?" I couldn't handle the mushy stuff.

"Some of it," he reached into the bag and grabbed his burger and fries, then handed the rest to me. "Does that mean you forgive me?"

"I guess," I sighed dramatically, even though I definitely did. "Jeff makes me work out, and Zane is a little too honest with me. I can't do them everyday."

"I knew you missed me," he lifted my legs so he had space to sit on the couch, then laid them back on top of his lap. "They're hard to deal with."

"Don't get a big head. You're hard to deal with, too. You're just usually a little nicer."

"You know you're my favorite, right?" he asked, and I shrugged, suddenly feeling embarrassed. "I don't mean to be hard on you, but you deserve better and you know it."

"I know," I nodded. "I feel like I've had to unlearn every behavior in my life, if that makes sense. The entire time I was with him, I did everything I could to make him happy, and I never even cared about myself. And now that I'm single and I can actually focus on me, I don't know how to. All I can think about is how much he would hate it."

"That should make you want it more," he told me. "You know he would hate it, so you should do it. He doesn't control you anymore. He never should've in the first place. I swear if I ever see him, I'll let him know he should've never fucked with you."

"Okay, big guy," I laughed, patting him on the shoulder. "I'm pretty sure I could do more damage than you, even after this very unhealthy meal that Jeffrey would kill me for eating."

"I'm trying to be nice. You get uncomfortable when I'm nice to you, and you get mad when I'm mean to you. How can I fucking win?"

"Stop being so dramatic," I used my free hand to shove him on the shoulder. "I like when you're nice to me. It does make me a little uncomfortable, though, but that's just because my parents didn't love me the right way."

"What?" David laughed.

"It's true," I shrugged. "My parents never really hugged me or told me they loved me, so now people showing me any type of affection makes me uncomfortable."

"I guess we have something in common, then," he shrugged, suddenly becoming a lot less happy. I decided at that point to change the subject, not ready to deal with the in depth family talk that was coming.

"We can love each other," I leaned up to hug him, fries still in hand, then laid back down. "We should watch a movie. I vote Princess and the Frog."

"I'm not watching that shit," David frowned.

We did, indeed, watch that shit. Well, actually, we both fell asleep at some point, me just barely remembering the song Ray sings about Evangeline (AKA my favorite part) before falling asleep.

"Wake up, lovebirds!" Zane yelled as soon as he stepped through the front door. "I need help with groceries!"

David ended up slumping over onto me at some point after I fell asleep, his phone toppling to the floor but waking neither of us up. I stared at him, and he looked back up at me. He said, "You're comfy. Big tits."

"I fucking hate you," I shoved him off of me, laughing. "We're coming, Zaneykins!"

I mostly supervised while Zane and David brought in bags of groceries (in reusable bags that I had to buy for us, of course).

"And she wonders why you call her princess," Zane joked as I sat on the counter, entertaining them while they sorted out where everything went.

"I'm a weak, helpless girl," I lied. "I can't lift those bags."

"I thought you were a feminist."

"I am. I think it's my right to be a weak and helpless girl who can't carry groceries. Is that a problem?"

"You're a fucking psycho. How the hell do you end up playing mind tricks on everyone and get everything you want? It's insanity," Zane said.

"The only thing that made me happy this summer was watching The Simple Life with Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie over and over again," I giggled. "They're very good at manipulating people. I might've picked up a thing or two."

"She's not even manipulating us. We just already know she won't do it," David told Zane.

"Because I'm a baddie, and baddies don't do work."

"You know what?" David laughed. "I'm gonna let you have that one. I need you to think like that. That'll help you out, I think."

I was sure he was referring to my insecurities in life and about myself. He would rather me be narcissistic than sad.

"Come here," I opened my arms, and he hugged me. Because I was sitting on the counter, I was much taller than him, and I rested my head on top of his. "I love you."

"I love you, too," he giggled. "Favorite roommate, by far."

"She's never gonna fuck you, David," Zane rolled his eyes. "Just give it up already and admit I'm your real favorite."

"You left your shit sitting in the toilet two days ago."

"Ew."

"So?"

At that moment, I was infinitely more thankful that I had my own bathroom.

Hi guys im dogsitting with my friend and she's making me a quesadilla and i feel like an adult just chillin in this apartment like its insane