fifteen

buckle up yall

Halloween came around even quicker than I imagined. We were lucky enough to have it land on a Friday, which meant it was going to be a full on party. We usually stayed pretty sober at our pregames for the bar, just so they'd serve us and we didn't make complete fools of ourselves, but it was Halloween and that was all out the window.

My roommates, along with Carly, her friend Erin (who I was starting to suspect had a tiny crush on Zane), and Natalie all got very drunk very quickly. I ended up spilling a dark red drink all down my chin right before we left, but we had already called the Ubers, so I let the rest of the group go while I cleaned up, promising to meet them later. David stayed with me, stating that Halloween was when the mass murderers and Satanists felt most comfortable and he didn't want me in a Uber to the bar alone.

"It's fucking freezing out here," I complained for the ninetieth time that night while waiting in line to get in to Triple B. Believe it or not, my thirty dollar "Sexy Cop" costume from one of those scary popup halloween stores was not keeping me very warm.

"Take my sweatshirt, Millie," he pulled off the green sweatshirt with his private school's crest on it, that he covered with a print out of a Mike Wazowski eye, passing it to me. "You're gonna get hypothermia."

"That ruins both of our costumes. Plus you're gonna get cold," I warned him, but he rolled his eyes, shoving it towards me again anyway. Begrudgingly, I took the sweatshirt from his hands and slid it on over my costume. "Thank you. That's really sweet."

"Whatever," he shrugged, but the light smile on his face told me he was happy he did it. "You don't look like you're having fun."

I stared at him for a moment, then said, "Is it really that obvious?"

He laughed and nodded, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and bringing me closer to his body. My guess was that he did this either to warm me up or because he knew I wouldn't want the entire line at the bar listening. "What's wrong?"

"I've been in couples' costumes for the past five years," I sighed. "This is my first Halloween alone."

"Bro, you have got to get the fuck over it," David rolled his eyes, pulling me even closer. I could tell he was a little more drunk than I was from our pregame. "Fuck someone tonight, seriously. I'll help you look."

"I don't know if I want to," I awkwardly laughed. "I haven't... done that since we broke up. He's the only guy I've ever had sex with. I'm kind of scared to do it with someone random."

"Then I'll help you," he said, and I laughed at his joke until I looked at him and realized it wasn't a joke. "I'm serious. You want it to be someone you know, so come home with me right now."

"I can't tell if you're messing with me," I knew I was staring at him like he was crazy, but I just couldn't help it. My whole thing with my roommates was that we were all just friends. We'd flirt with each other or mess with each other, but we all knew it'd never go that far. Having sex with a roommate could completely destroy our relatively peaceful household. "We have a rule, David. And we're almost at the front of the line. Everyone's inside waiting for us."

"Fuck the rule," his smile was a little too convincing. My drunken haze was affecting my decision. He ran his hand up under my neck, coming to a resting place in my hair. He used it to pull my head back so I was forced to look up at him. "And fuck all of them. You look pretty. Let's go home."

"I look like Mike Wazowski," I waved my hand in front of the printed eyeball he taped onto his sweatshirt. "I think you drank too much and you're going to regret saying all this tomorrow."

"Mill, I'm fine," he dragged out his words in a way that worked against him, not for him. His grip in my hair tightened ever so slightly, and he yanked my head back a little as if to prove a point. "Come home with me."

I hated that it was getting to me. I hated that it was that easy to convince me.

"Why don't you ask Natalie? I thought she was your friend with benefits."

"Sometimes. But I'm asking you. Come home with me."

I hated that he made it sound so simple when even drunk me knew it was so, so complicated. I hated that I couldn't be free because I was still, deep down, worried about my shitty ex boyfriend's opinion of me. I hated David's fucking cocky smile when I asked, "What are we going to tell them?"

"That I ended up drinking too much waiting for you to get ready, so you stayed home and helped me."

"Oh, so you've already got the plan ready?" I raised my eyebrows, and he laughed and shrugged, so casual and not the least bit embarrassed to be caught plotting.

"ID?" Randy, my favorite bouncer, said, trying not to smile at me.

I looked at him then back at David, sighed, and said, "Actually, we're going home. David doesn't feel good. I'll see you this weekend, I'm sure."

"Happy Halloween!" he told me as we stepped out of line.

"This is a really bad idea," I told David as we walked down the street to get away from Triple B, that way our friends couldn't spot us through the window while we waited for an Uber. "Like, really bad."

"Don't make it a big deal," he told me. He seemed so effortless with it all. "Friends hook up all the time."

"Yeah, but we live together. And we promised our roommates that none of us would ever hook up."

"So? As long as you don't fall in love with me, there won't be a problem and they'll never find out."

My jaw dropped, and I asked, offended, "what if you fall in love with me?"

"Millie," he laughed like that was the funniest thing he'd ever heard. "You don't have to worry about me. I don't do that shit. I don't even believe in love."

"Why not?" I frowned.

"It's just not real. It doesn't last no matter who it is. There's no point in even trying."

"That's a horrible way to look at things."

"It's true. I've never met anyone who hasn't fallen out of love eventually. Some people just stay so they don't get a guilty conscience, which is even worse than leaving."

"You don't think you're ever going to fall in love? With anyone?" I asked.

"Nah," he shrugged. "Because I know. I know it's not what you think it is. It's just short term infatuation."

"That makes me sad for you," I admitted. "I hope you find someone that changes your mind."

"Maybe one day," he chuckled like he didn't believe the words coming out of his mouth. "That's our Uber. Come on."

Never have a fwb bc it NEVER works out. Thats my advice for yall. U will get hurt. Dont do it

Xoxo abby