forty three

"Thank you for sitting with me," I finally spoke after a long silence. Because I didn't want to go home, Jeff decided we'd go to a park. There were no children, which made sense because it had barely started warming up yet, so we sat on the swings and just barely moved. "I'm sorry I've been annoying these past few days."

"You haven't been annoying, Cam," he tried to encourage me, but nothing would change my mind. I was supposed to be chill and normal, one of the boys. I wasn't supposed to cry like this over a stupid boy. "You really haven't. We've all been there."

"Is he... okay?" I asked the question that had been on the tip of my tongue since he left that night. Was I the only one who was upset, or was he just as bad as me?

"Obviously not," Jeff scoffed like the idea of either of us being okay was unfathomable. "You're both too stubborn for your own good."

"Why doesn't he just come home?" I whined, leaning my head against the chain of the swing. "He could just come home and admit Natalie was trying to smash and everything would be fine."

"He wants you to admit Natalie was not trying to smash," he said. "You both think the other is wrong. Nothing gets fixed like that."

"Well, I am right," I argued, and he gave me a look that told me I just proved his point. "I am! You can't tell me that wasn't suspicious."

"It was," he shrugged. "But is that David's fault? That he hangs out with his friend?"

"Jeff, he used to have sex with her," I deadpanned. "And there's just so much. She's so much prettier than me, and she's probably better at all of that than me, and if he was drunk or high or not in his right mind, he'd probably accept any offer she gave."

"None of that is true. You're pretty, and he's obsessed with you. He uses her for her weed, then comes home as soon as he can to be with you because he loves you," he said. "I personally don't think David would ever cheat on you, ever. Ever. He's not like that. And he's told you... a lot about his past, hasn't he?"

"How do you know that?"

"You were just acting different with each other. I knew," he explained. "And I don't know much about his past, but I know it wasn't good, and I know only his high school friends know what went down because they were there. If he didn't love you and didn't see himself being with you forever, he would've never said all that shit."

"I know. That is what messes me up. He was so quick to leave."

"You were both not in your right minds. There was no reason to fight with you."

"He hasn't been back."

"He wants you to make the first move."

"Well, I'm right," I gave him a sarcastic smile. "So I guess we are broken up for good."

"I mean, if that's what you want..."

It wasn't. What I wanted, I mean. It wasn't what I wanted, but I was right. I was right about Natalie wanting to try something, and even though I was too stubborn for my own good, I wouldn't just apologize and act like it never happened. If he couldn't see that his actions hurt me, then we didn't need to be together. It was as simple, and as complicated, as that.

"You wanna go to Party City?" he asked.

"Why? It's March."

"Next week is Saint Patrick's Day. We could buy some decorations," he suggested, and I felt some of the pain in my heart ease off. It no longer felt like someone was stepping on me full force, but they were definitely still there. Still stepping, still crushing, just not as hard.

"You hate when I decorate for holidays," I smiled, and he nodded.

"I do. But I think it'd be fun this time."

"It's weird when y'all are so nice to me," I laughed as I stood out of the swing, my legs still a little wobbly from earlier. "Makes me feel like I'm dying."

"Let's go. I don't know when they close."

So we went. We found a ridiculous amount of green balloons, shamrock shaped sunglasses, weird little leprechaun hats that were definitely for kids and too small to fit our giant heads, green beads, and some little banners to hang up in the living room. It was much too expensive and totally a waste of money for a holiday like Saint Patrick's Day, which was only created so people could drink all day without feeling guilty, but laying everything out and getting our house in the holiday spirit did make me feel better. Jeff was a wizard. I was convinced of it.

After another long and depressing day of being alive and alone, I took a bath around 4:30. One of the things about my bathroom is that the wall behind my tub was also the other side of the kitchen wall. If the water wasn't running and I listened very carefully, I could hear the conversations in the living room.

That's how I knew David was back. I would recognize his voice anywhere.

"Remind me why I'm here again," he seemed sassy. I would've laughed if it didn't make me want to cry.

"Because you live here," Zane answered. "And because your girlfriend is alone probably crying in the bathtub right now. Does that seem right to you?"

"I don't think you can call her my girlfriend anymore," he replied. "She broke up with me."

"She says you broke up with her," Jeff spoke.

"Jesus, is this some kind of fucking intervention?" I heard his annoyed laugh. "I'm not exactly sure what you want me to say. She broke up with me because I hung out with Natalie. That is what happened. And until she apologizes to me and Natalie for acting like Natalie is just some slut that's going to try something with me, I am not going to talk to her. It's simple."

"Do you really think she wants to apologize when you're sleeping at Natalie's after she accused you and Natalie of cheating?" Zane asked, and I wanted to text him thank you thank you thank you for understanding what everyone else does not but I knew I wouldn't be able to eavesdrop any longer if I did. "That doesn't make you look good, dude. You're just proving her point by running away to Natalie."

"You guys are insane. What has she said to you that makes you entirely on her side?"

"Who said we were entirely on her side?" Jeff defended himself. "Trust me, I've been talking to her too, but at this point, I don't see her being the bigger person and apologizing. She thinks she's right, and she thinks she's going to prove it."

"Well then, that's her problem, not mine."

"Can you fucking listen to yourself?" Zane was getting fed up, I could tell by the way he raised his voice. Zane only ever yelled in a happy manner, so I was honestly kind of scared even though I was a room away. "You are in love with her, dude! You told me two weeks ago that you were going to marry her one day! How can you just sit here and not care about anything going on right now? How can you sit here while we're telling you this and she's probably crying and not give a shit about anyone but yourself?"

Thank you, Zane. Thank you times a million.

"I'm leaving," I could barely hear the scoff in David's words.

"Good, get the fuck out of here. No one wants to be your friend right now anyways."

With the slam of the door, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. He was gone, and I was alone crying in the bathtub, just as Zane had predicted.

Writing this chapter instead of studying for my very important anatomy 2 test at 5!!!! Comment something nice for when i check my notifs after i fail bc yes i will fail and yes i will be crying <3

Xoxo abby