fourteen

"Took you long enough," I smiled as David sat down on the couch next to me, a beer in his hand. "You probably shouldn't be drinking after the dentist. Seems counterintuitive."

"Okay, drunky," David rolled his eyes with a laugh."I have perfect teeth. Besides my wisdom teeth. I have to get them out next month."

"I got mine out when I was, like, twelve," I bragged.

"I don't know what you want me to do with that information."

"Feel inferior," I shrugged.

"I definitely do."

He definitely didn't.

"We should play Just Dance," I mentioned.

The boys had every video game console I had ever heard of and every game that had guns in it that you could think of. Though they tried to teach me how to play them, I always forgot which buttons to press and fucked up the games every time. The only games I could play with confidence were Minecraft (my childhood favorite) and Mario Kart, so I took it upon myself to pay forty dollars for Just Dance to switch things up.

As fun as it was to hear the misogynistic gamer boys say you're a girl? whenever I had the headset on while one of the other boys was playing, it had gotten old. I needed more games that would soothe my soul.

Jeff and David both rolled their eyes when I showed them what I had inside the Gamestop bag. At least Zane was excited. I knew he was going to be the only one to actually play with me, which made him my favorite roommate for the time being.

"You can," David laughed at me. "I'm not playing that shit."

"Why not?" I whined with a pout that was hopefully cute enough to allow me to get my way. "It's so fun."

"It's fucking stupid. I'm not playing it."

"David," I gave him my best puppy dog eyes that had gotten me far in life. Brandon, the most selfish man in the world, always let me pick the movie whenever I gave him puppy dog eyes. "Please? It's my party."

"Zane will play with you," he offered, but I could see his resolve cracking. No one could resist the puppy dog eyes. "Or Natalie."

"Why do you hate me?" I asked in the smallest voice I could, trying to convince him that I was way more upset than I was. Anytime I was drunk, I was on the verge of tears, so it wasn't that hard to make my eyes just a little bit glassy.

"Are the dramatics really necessary?" he frowned. I could tell he wasn't mad. "I literally hate you, you know that?"

"Is that a yes to Just Dance?" my teary eyes dried up instantly and a smile spread across my face.

"Manipulative. You're evil," he said, but he still got up and offered me a hand.

"This is why you're secretly my favorite," I giggled as I stood, watching him press some buttons on the TV and the Wii until the loading screen of the game popped up.

"It's not really a secret."

David actually did two different songs with me before other people began fighting over who could play next. I told them over and over again that Just Dance would be a smash hit at parties, but no one believed me until they saw it with their own eyes.

Everyone left before midnight, since a few of them still had tests the next day and the rest of them planned to attend their classes like losers. I forced Jeff to stay up with me a little longer, just to savor the fact that I was done with my tests and felt free.

It was incredible how different it was here. At my old college, I was completely tied to Brandon. I was quiet and demure. Everyone who knew me knew me as Brandon's girlfriend; it was practically my only personality trait. All of my friends were Brandon's friends first.

Here, it was opposite. People were friends with me for me. Jeff stayed up with me because he liked hanging out with me, not because he felt forced to. David planned the party because he cared about me and my feelings. Zane gossiped with me and treated me as if he'd known me all his life.

We were roommates by chance, but I chalked it up to fate that I found these boys. What are the chances that a room would coincidentally open up right when I needed it? They made me believe that maybe all men weren't so horrible. They made me feel loved and safe and happy.

Halloween was coming up, my favorite holiday of the entire year. I had already begun slowly decorating, hoping the boys either liked it or didn't notice so they wouldn't take it down. Just the basics, a few of those fake spider webs hanging here and there and some pumpkins by the front door.

We even had a roomie pumpkin carving day (that I forced them into, of course).

"I thought you were supposed to be one of the guys," Jeff complained as he took off his headset to join us at the kitchen counter, where me and the other two had already began scooping out pumpkin guts with our bare hands. "Why are you making us do this?"

"Halloween is my favorite holiday," I told him for the ninth time. "Can you please have some holiday spirit? We are a family."

"What are you gonna be?" Zane asked.

"I don't know. I guess whatever the sluttiest costume at Spirit is."

"Atta girl," David laughed. "That is why Halloween is also my favorite holiday. Should be yours too, Wittek."

"I have a girlfriend, dipshit. I've already seen it all."

"You can throw some roleplay in the mix," I wiggled my eyebrows at him. "Maybe Carly will be a sexy nurse, and you're her injured patient."

"Hot," Jeff nodded, a little too focused on his pumpkin. When he started giggling to himself like a little kid halfway through carving, I knew he was up to something devious.

David carved the classic jack o'lantern face. Zane and I had a competition to see who could make the pumpkins look more like the other person, but they both turned out very hideous. Zane swore his looked just like me, which offended me deeply.

Jeff carved a dick. I was not surprised or pleased, but he seemed to get a kick out of it, and he placed his front and center on our front step as if it was a blue ribbon winning piece of art.

Boys.

Hi everyone sorry for my absence i was at the beach this past week!!! And now i have sun poisoning lolll i love being white <3

Anyways i was crying earlier so i wrote this and watched a bunch of vlogs to make me feel better. David is like my best friend at this point i do not know what id do without him in my life. Im sure some of u feel that way too lol

Xoxo abby