forty seven

"What's up, man?" the boy who answered the door did a cute little bro hug with David, who lit up like a Christmas tree upon seeing his childhood friend's face. "Jesus, you're old."

"Says the one who is prematurely balding," David retorted with a smile that proved he wasn't trying to be mean. "This is Millie. Or Camilla. Whatever you want."

"Hey, I'm Ilya," he reached out to hug me. "I've heard a lot about you."

"All good?" I asked, and Ilya smirked like he knew something I didn't.

"Too good. Almost thought he was lying about you," he told me. "Come inside. Alex and John are here already."

David told me earlier some other people from his high school would be there, so it didn't necessarily catch me off guard, but it still caused my chest to clench in anxiousness. Alex and John. Nice names. I could meet David's friends! I wasn't scared!

"Oh, you got any ice? She fucked up her hand."

"Let me see," Ilya took us on a detour to the kitchen, where various bottles and cans of alcohol were scattered on the counter, along with some chips and salsa and an untouched pizza. "You can help yourself to drinks. Is frozen peas okay? All the ice is in the cooler."

"Yeah," I nodded, and he handed me the pack, taking the opportunity to stare at my swollen, red and slightly bloody hand.

"Jesus, what the fuck did you do?"

I glanced at David, unsure if I could tell the story. Only Ilya could know if I did, since he was the only one of David's friends who knew the truth.

"We ran into my aunt at the store," David said quietly, and Ilya's eyebrows popped up in pure shock, his eyes drifting from David's face to my hand then back to David.

"She did that? To her?"

David nodded, a slow, easy smile spreading across his face. "Yeah, she did. Hot, right?"

"Dude," Ilya looked a little scared. He turned to me and said, "Remind me not to fuck with you."

"Don't fuck with David, actually," I told him. "Wouldn't do all that for just me."

"Was she... okay?" he seemed concerned, probably more for my legal wellbeing than her physical wellbeing.

"She was fucked up," David answered for me. "Blood everywhere. Probably had a broken nose and broken teeth, to be honest. I have never seen anything like it."

"And she's not gonna try and charge you for assault? She probably has camera evidence if you were inside the store."

"I think I let her know she shouldn't," I fake smiled. "Don't worry about me. If any of the other boys asked, some girl was flirting with him, okay?"

Ilya nodded.

"That's gonna make you look like a fucking psycho," David warned me.

"I know," I shrugged. "Don't really have another option, though, so it's fine."

He smiled at me and mumbled a sweet little I love you, kissing the top of my head. It calmed me down greatly. We poured David a drink, since these were his friends and he deserved to get drunk at their party, then entered the living room. There were two boys and a beautiful girl with long, shiny brunette hair and the straightest teeth I've ever seen. She must've had braces on for a decade, or actually wore her retainer once she got them off.

Everyone was ecstatic to see David; they all jumped off the couch as soon as we entered to pull him into bro hugs. I moved towards the girl, feeling comforted by the feminine presence. I said, "Hi, I'm Camilla."