eight

"How did Zane and David get invited to our girls' day?" I asked Carly and Natalie, who were sitting on my floor with me painting our nails while the two boys lounged on my bed and argued about which movie to watch.

"Because you can't resist us," David smirked a little too proudly. I wanted to take him down a peg, but the alcohol buzzing through my system made me more relaxed than my usual self.

"The real question is why they are here, but Jeff isn't even here with his little boo thang," Natalie smiled cheekily at Carly, who rolled her eyes.

That was a good point. I expected Carly to be a one night stand, since that's what Jeff made it seem like, but I had ran into her in the kitchen at two in the morning a few too many times for the relationship to be considered casual. That was the reason I invited her for a girls' night in the first place. She was in our house so often that I decided I needed to get to know her.

Natalie and I had gotten closer over the past two weeks, and I really liked hanging out with her, so she secured an invite too. The two boys bickering in my bed, on the other hand, did not.

"I don't like that word," Carly turned her nose up. "I'm definitely not his boo thang. We're just hanging out."

"That's what Natalie says about her and David," I joked, watching Natalie flick me off and David roll his eyes. Carly got a kick out of that one, glad to not be the one taking the abuse, even if just for a moment.

"Me and Natalie do just hang out," David defended himself. "I hear terrifying noises coming from Jeff's room every night."

"So you're telling me you haven't fucked Natalie?" Zane stared at David, and he rolled his eyes again. "Keep rolling your eyes, dipshit. You won't find a brain back there."

And then they started fighting, playful definitely, but the slaps sounded pretty harsh.

"You guys are completely destroying our calming girls' day environment," Natalie took a sip of her drink, not even turning around to look at the two. "We didn't even invite you in here."

"You left the door wide open," Zane shrugged. "That's enough of an invitation for me."

"Same," David nodded, grabbing his beer off my nightstand and taking a sip of it, barely even sitting up to do it.

"If you spill that in my bed, I'm going to castrate you and wear your balls as earrings," I warned, and David choked a little on the sip that was in his mouth.

"Jesus Christ, that's a new one," he laughed. "Your ears aren't even pierced."

My hair was down, which meant he had to have previously noticed my ears weren't pierced. I found that a little unsettling, but I didn't say anything.

"All it takes is some ice and a needle," I told him. "Don't test me."

"Wouldn't dream of it, princess," he smirked, and I carefully flicked him off so as to not ruin my fresh nail polish.

Carly was very nice. I could tell she was a little nervous like I used to be, scared to put herself into the conversation out of fear of rejection. I tried to address her directly multiple times throughout the day so she'd know I was talking to her.

We had a good, relaxing Saturday, and by the time Jeff got home from working on a group project at the library, we were a little past drunk, all of us.

He was quick to catch up, and even quicker to convince us to go to Triple B. I didn't understand why, knowing he'd leave within an hour with Carly trailing behind him, but it wasn't too hard to get five drunk college students to go to a bar to get even more drunk.

Todd and Corinna were already there when we got there, and while I tried to be civil, she just gave me a dirty look when I politely smiled at her. I decided then that there was no point. We clearly had very different morals, and she wasn't even a nice homewrecker. Trying with Corinna was futile.

I ended up talking to a blonde named Matt at the bar for most of the night. He was loading me up with drinks, and his slightly southern accent and very dramatic, animated facial expressions were keeping me very entertained. He invited me to go back to his place, but that's when I got nervous.

Truthfully, I did want to let loose. Being at a new college with new, non judgmental friends meant I could do whatever I wanted and be patted on the back for it the next morning. At the same time, I was fucking terrified.

I had, honestly, been a doormat my whole life. I had been docile and muted for the past five years with Brandon. I listened to him and did what he said. I couldn't help it; thinking about going home with Matt just made me think about how Brandon would react to that information. He would no doubt think I was being slutty and "not myself"—at least not the me that he knew.

I just wasn't ready to go out like that. I was scared. I told him I thought I was too drunk, and he was very nice and understanding about that. He ended up giving me his number and then walked me back to my friends, standing in their usual spot in the corner, avoiding interactions with all other people.

Jeff and Carly were gone (no surprise there), and Zane seemed to have made a disappearing act as well. Natalie and Corinna were standing at opposite ends, Natalie only talking to David and Corinna only talking to Todd.

"Hi, folks," I stumbled up, giving Matt a kiss on the cheek for helping me out. "Thank you, sir. You're very nice."

"Matt trying to steal our girl," David shook his head like he was disappointed. "If I would've known it was you keeping her busy, I would've dragged her away a long time ago."

"You guys know each other?" my drunken brain was scrambled. I mentioned my roommates multiple times and he didn't act like he knew them, but maybe I was just too intoxicated to notice.

"Yeah, I know this asshole," Matt smiled like he was just teasing, which made me much more comfortable. For a second, I thought they had some type of beef that I was not equipped to deal with. "We've had a few classes together."

"Matt had a fake before I turned 21," David told me. "He helped us out many times."

"I knew you were nice," I patted him on the shoulder. I turned my attention to my friends and said, "I'm sleepy."

"Yeah, we were just about to get the Uber," Todd said.

"You're coming to our house?" I raised my eyebrows, the only way I could think of to hide my displeased face.

"For a little. You're going to bed," Todd said. I understood that it wasn't just my house, but I didn't like his entitled tone.

"You've still got me as an option," Matt laughed, not in a pushy way like it sounds.

"I'm passing out the second I walk through the front door," I told him, knowing I couldn't go home with him. "But I appreciate the offer. And the drinks. I really appreciate those."

"Any time," he smiled at me. "I'll see you around, Camilla."

David grabbed me over the shoulders and pulled me back into his chest like he was protecting me. "You wish. This is our girl now. We gotta keep her in line."

"Whatever, Dobrik," Matt dramatically rolled his eyes. "You always have been a little possessive."

"What can I say?" David shrugged, his arm still tightly around me. "Gotta protect my little princess."

Taking the word princess back one step at a time lets goooooooo

Xoxo abby