forty six

"What the fuck are you trying to hide from me?" I asked, quick to notice David slipping an envelope into his sweatshirt pocket, hidden away from the rest of the mail.

We went out on the twenty foot walk to the mailbox together because we had basically been attached at the hip since he returned home. It wasn't all my doing; David was just as close to me as I was to him. I think everyone was a little annoyed at how fast we did a 180, but David proved himself to be trustworthy, and I wasn't going to push him away just because of a few miscommunications.

"It's nothing important."

"Are we getting evicted?"

"Fuck no," he laughed at the thought. "I think Sherri would've done it before now. We pay rent. We're chill."

"David," I whined, knowing him and knowing he was trying to change the subject. "You have to tell me."

"I said it wasn't anything important."

"Is it from your mom?" I asked, and he shook his head. "Then what is it?"

"It's from Ilya," he answered finally. "Remember my friend from high school?"

"The one you lived with?" I asked, and he nodded. "Oh. Why are you trying to hide it then? And who sends mail in the first place?"

"I already know what it is, and I'm not going," he said with finality in his voice. "I knew if you knew, you'd make me go."

"Because I make you a better person," I complimented myself with a cheesy smile. "Well... what is it?"

"He got engaged a few months ago, and I texted him to congratulate him and he told me he'd probably have a small little engagement party with a few people from high school soon," he replied. "I don't like being in that town. She still lives there, I think. I don't know."

"You should really consider going," I started my speech that I knew sounded a little too much like Angie, but I couldn't help it. "You haven't seen them in forever. You deserve to spend time with your friends and not worry about any shit like that."

"I know," he sighed as he flopped on the couch. "I don't even know what we'd talk about. Ilya probably only invited me because he pities me."

"If that's true, then I'll beat his ass, but we both know it isn't. Your friends probably miss you. I wasn't with you for, like, a week, and I fucking missed you so much I thought I'd die."

"That's way different. You're my girlfriend. I haven't seen any of them in three years."

"David, you are genuinely the funniest and sweetest guy I know, and I thought that even before we were dating. They miss you, and they want to see you, and that is the reason Ilya invited you to his little shindig. You should go."

I knew he was cracking because I knew I was making some quality points. I tried with all my might not to smirk when he said, "Okay."

I tried with all my might not to look freaked the fuck out when he added, "But only if you come with me."

"Me?" I think my eyes were bulging out of my head. "You want me to come with you?"

"Is that a problem?" he seemed a little too smug. "Because if it is, we don't have to go."

"Um... what if they hate me?"

"No one could ever hate you," he gave me the classic boyfriend response.

"What if they meet me, and since they've known you so long they know I'm not the right girl for you, and then they all talk shit about me at the party, and then they egg me or something?"