thirty four

"Why are you sneaking out of the house so damn early in the morning?" my eyes narrowed as I took in Jeff, who came down the stairs on a Friday morning way too quietly. He was wearing jeans and a nice shirt, so I knew for sure he wasn't going to the gym. If he even tried to use that bullshit excuse, I'd know he was lying.

"I think the better question is why are you awake?" he countered, and I rolled my eyes.

"Okay, Mr. Subject Changer, since you must know, I have to go to my professor's early ass office hours so she can tell me everything I did wrong on my perfect paper that somehow got an eighty five," I replied. "Now, you answer."

"I'm going to get breakfast."

"You got all dressed up for breakfast? Alone?" I raised my eyebrows to show my suspicion, and he let out a huff of annoyance. "Looks to me like someone has a breakfast date."

"Wow, Sherlock, you really are a genius," he sarcastically bit back, and it took everything in me to hold back my cheesy smile. If I looked too excited, he would never tell me the details. One of the boys, I reminded myself. Make it casual.

"Sorry, I'm just nosy," I shrugged indifferently. "So... who are you going on a date with?"

"I think you need to worry about your own date," he responded.

He was right. Tonight was David and I's very first date, and he hadn't told me anything about what we were doing. I told him I was showing up in a Bigfoot costume if he didn't give me a dress code, so he eventually gave in and told me a casual dress would do. That was all the information I could squeeze out of him. I even offered him head to tell me what was up, and he said no. I was only a little offended.

"Please just tell me. I'm so nosy. I'm going to shrivel up and die like a little raisin if I don't know. Or follow you there."

"What about your perfect paper?"

"Screw that. Tell me, or I swear I'll do it."

"Tana, okay? I'm going with Tana," he finally sighed, clearly done with me. It was way too early for him to be bothered by me, but since I was up, I was ready to be a nuisance. Anything to take my mind off of my rude professor and her eager hand with grading.

"Tana Mongeau?" I raised my eyebrows in shock, but quickly lowered them when I saw his glare. "Sorry, I'm just shocked. I thought she was a one time thing?"

"She's been a one time thing since freshman year for me," he admitted with a soft smile. "I don't know. I figured I'd try. I never expected you and the idiot upstairs to be dating either, so."

"You didn't have any suspicion?"

"Not really," he shrugged. "We all thought you were hot, so. The princess thing was a little weird to me, but David's kind of the type who seems like he's flirting with everyone he's speaking to, so I never thought anything of it. You're a lot sneakier than I expected you to be."

"Ninja," I said with a smile. "Go! Don't want you to be late to your breakfast date. Very intimate, I must say."

"Wait, was the princess thing, like, a sex thing?" he looked disgusted, and I had to laugh.

"You'll never know! Go!"

"That makes me want to puke."

"Go!"

If you were wondering, my professor gave me a very vague explanation on why my paper was so horrible, then told me I should consider investing in a thesaurus, all while munching way too loudly on a bacon, egg, and cheese bagel. I could've slapped the sandwich out of her hand, but I made up an excuse to leave before I got too angry.