4

"Soana," Zuko said, gaining her attention.

The two were in the foyer with the princess just about to head up the stairs to her bedroom. It was time for the both of them to say goodnight before they would see each other again the next day.

"Yes?" Soana turned to Zuko, almost alarmed that he didn't shout at her.

He looked at her softly smiling then to her engagement necklace he had given to her hours before. In the pit of her stomach, she felt her insides twist, but she didn't know if it was a good or bad feeling.

"We can do this another time."

Soana felt his warm hands grasp onto hers. She held them and relished in the moment by closing her eyes only to think of one person.

Niko.

The thought of her former love struck her heart when she felt Zuko's warm hands. Just like Zuko, Niko had warm hands and the heart of a warrior. So brave and so kind. She loved him dearly.

When she opened her eyes to expect the sight of Niko's sea blue eyes, she only saw golden irises and a scar staring back at her.

"Well?" Zuko asked, sounding a bit impatient.

"Sure." Flustered, Soana nodded as Zuko's thumb grazed against her knuckles in reminiscent of Niko and how he used to hold her hands.

He softly smiled down at her. She noticed his soft features then looked at the floor, almost shocked by how he stared with admiration.

When Soana felt his hand holding the side of her face, she looked back to him. Her heart raced violently when she seen him leaning towards her. Half of her was scared, but the other half was wondering what it would be like to give into Zuko and her feelings for him.

Suddenly the thought of her former love didn't exist anymore, only Zuko was the person who came across her mind.

He gently pressed his lips to hers, but only for a second before pulling away to stroke her cheekbone with his thumb.

She grabbed Zuko's wrist with her hand and leaned her head against his palm, feeling safe and sound by the touch of his warm hand on her frame.

Still grinning softly, Zuko leaned forward to press a short, savoring kiss on her forehead.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Soana." He muttered, pulling away.

She returned his comment by coyly grinning back to him and nodding.

"Goodnight, Zuko."

"Goodnight, Soana."

They released their clasped hands and separated from each other. Soana then ascended the stairs as Zuko watched her gracefully head to her bedroom.

Zuko caught himself and his emotions that were spiraling. After Soana had left to go to bed, Zuko's thoughts were mostly about her, but any other time it would always be about his father burning him and giving him the mark on his face. He was disowned, banished from his own nation and from coming back home, but his father needed him for this deal between him and the water tribe in order to have more imports to the fire nation. If Zuko was to fail to marry Soana, he wouldn't be allowed back home.

Although the thought of him being pressured to marry Soana for peace and trust was very aggravating, he couldn't help but let the one side win the battle of love. Zuko was falling for the princess of the Northern Water Tribe, and there was no denying it.

The next day was when Soana awoke from her slumber earlier than usual.

Why?