23

Arriving at the palace was something Soana had experienced before in her own tribe

Arriving at the palace was something Soana had experienced before in her own tribe. Although this time there was no ice and instead of a boat it was an ostrich horse drawn carriage that led her to the threshold.

Exiting the carriage, Soana accepted Zuko's hand and stepped out while Iroh began to walk due to his excitement.

Soana giggled at his amusement and walked at Zuko's side, hearing Iroh speak.

"Many times I imagined myself here at the threshold of the palace. But I always thought I would be here as a conqueror. Instead, we are the Earth King's personal guests, here to serve him tea. Destiny is a funny thing."

"It sure is, uncle." Zuko said before his hand brushed against Soana's.

Her stomach fluttered as she felt the sudden warmth of his hand. In the corner of her eye she saw his eyes averting from her to the doors of the palace just up ahead, so she decided to be brave and grab his hand.

Zuko was almost impressed by her sudden move. His heart warmed and the corners of his lips pulled hard, genuinely happy.

After entering the gates of the palace, the three members of the Jasmine Dragon reached a house having a massive room with a table in the center and three pillows on one side for them while far on the other side of room was a gold and white platform holding a gold and white embroidered throne.

Soana was almost as excited as Iroh at first but after some time had past of waiting for the Earth King, they grew impatient

"What's taking so long?" Zuko asked.

"Maybe the Earth King overslept?" Iroh suggested.

At that moment a line of Dai Li agents began to enter from a side room, completely circling the three.

A sensation in Soana's stomach lurched and she frowned.
"Guys, something's not right."

"It's tea time." A girl entered from the same side room as the Dai Li wearing a similar uniform to the agents.

Zuko abruptly stood with Soana and narrowed his eyes.
"Azula!"

Soana felt the world crashing around her when she noticed how Zuko's sister smirk menacingly.

"Have you met the Dai Li? They're earth benders, but they have a killer instinct that's so fire bender. I just love it."

Iroh calmly stood up with them and grabbed a cup of tea he had poured prior to the ambush.

"Did I ever tell you how I got the nickname the "Dragon of the West"?"