49

The escape from the Boiling Rock was very convenient for the group. With Azula being there, it gave them the idea of taking her airship and traveling back to the Western Air Temple where the rest of the group was waiting patiently.

Although the reunion between Hakoda and Katara, and Yuri and Reid was heartwarming, Soana didn't feel any love. She merely felt regret. She didn't even think to approach Sueh, who was busy dealing Gato's appearance, however, she did make a beeline to any place that didn't occupy any people.

She merely wanted to be alone.

She walked off into the air temple in thought until she stumbled upon the ruins of a fountain. The princess sat on the edge of it and heaved in deep breaths to calm her aching heart.

Although with the many breaths she took, none of them could bring her down from her panic. Tears welded against her waterline and escaped through without a single thought.

Little did she know, she had a follower nearby.

"Soana?" She heard a raspy voice coming from the shadows of the temple.

She quickly gained some composure, knowing who the voice belonged to.

"What?" She said in a strained voice, wiping her eyes clean.

She looked up to see Zuko emerging from the shadows. She frowned seeing him coming towards her.

"Zuko, leave." She said groggily.

The prince stopped in his tracks.
"I'm not leaving you alone, Soana. It's hard to tell what you'd do to yourself."

She narrowed her eyes.
"I feel like doing things to hurt you rather than myself."

"Soa-,"

"Leave, Zuko!" She shouted.

The prince flinched, but didn't listen to his wife, so he continued to take steps near her.
"I'm not going to leave."

She rolled her eyes.
"I'm not asking you to go, so quit acting like I'm giving you a choice. I'm telling you to leave me alone. You're the last person in this place I want to see right now."

Zuko maintained a frown, staring with remorse.
"At least tell me how I can make it up to you. I'll do anything, please."

She huffed.
"You're having a child with another woman who isn't your wife, Zuko. There's nothing else you can do to make it up to me."

Zuko closed his eyes, fighting the urge to break down.
"Soana, I didn't want it to happen with Mai. Yes, I was with her after the siege, and I understood I was to marry you, but I was alone when you were close to being gone. I had no one else to turn to. Mai was there to listen to me."

Soana scoffed.
"Don't you dare put this on me. Don't make me feel pity for you. No. You don't get to guilt trip me into trusting you again just because nothing is going your way."

The prince sighed, taking multiple strides towards her and taking a seat beside her at the fountain.

"Well, how do you want this to go?" He asked.