6

It was the night of Soana's escape from the city she grew up knowing

It was the night of Soana's escape from the city she grew up knowing. Although she nearly changed her mind for Zuko, hearing the news of him murdering Niko had crossed the line with her and made her look at the betrothal in the same view as the day she was told about it; useless and dangerous.

All of the morning and afternoon was filled with nothing but her planning and sulking. The more time she spent alone was enough time for her to know what she was going to do next. She was going to escape and travel to Ba Sing Se, the safe haven for refugees and outsiders. It was the only place she could be safe from the Fire Nation, avoid Zuko, and avoid her tribe from sending any guards to search for her since they've been so secluded over the years.

The plan had taken full action when the moon was at its highest peak in the sky.

With little rest, the princess exited her room and silently walked down the stairs into the foyer where she saw her sister standing at the end of the staircase.

"Yue, what're you doing awake?" Soana questioned.

"The moon is too bright. Can't sleep." She said then raised a brow. "Where do you think you're going?"

Soana sent her sister a scoff before walking down the rest of the way.
"I'm leaving. My place is not here."

"You're right. It's not. It's with Zuko at the Fire Nation Capital. Our father is depending on you for the peace between our tribe and Zuko's nation. Need I remind you?" She said with her tone sorrowful.

"There will be no peace. As long as Fire lord Ozai lives then there will be nothing but turmoil."

Yue looked at her feet as her sister reached out to grab her shoulders.
"I have to do this." Soana pleaded.

She saw Yue looking back to her with a frown.
"You have ten minutes before I tell someone."

Soana nodded slowly.
"Thanks for the cooperation, Yue."

She sighed sadly.
"It's my duty as princess to be truthful and loyal to the crown. Now hurry, please."

Soana didn't like Yue's response, but she looked past the shameful expression her sister had and softly smiled.
"I'll miss you, sister."

Yue looked back to her sister.
"You will be missed, Soana."

With her knapsack on her back, full of clothes and food, and a sleeping bag tied to the bottom of it she exited the foyer without looking back to Yue.

She had her thick parka and pants on, and her water can attach to her hip, eager to face the world with a water bender's fighting skill.

She exited the palace made entirely out of ice and looked back to remember every detail about it. She sighed then carried on, walking down the iced sidewalk until she made it to the harbor where she saw Sueh waiting for her with a tired grin.