40

It had only been a day since Zuko, Aang, and Reid had left the Western Air Temple to seek information of the disappearance of their firebending.

Soana was growing worried. There was a sinking feeling in her gut when she would stare out into the sky. She played with the pendant of her engagement necklace as she grew scared of Zuko and the boy's safety.

"Princess?" She heard a voice.

The princess turned her head to see Sokka behind her in the moonlight.

"Hey, Sokka." She greeted.
"What're you doing up?"

He shrugged.
"I couldn't sleep too well."

"What are you doing? You should be asleep."

"I'm worried. They should be coming back or something."

"It's Aang and Zuko. Knowing how they are, they're probably chasing Reid around to get him on Appa."

"I hope that's the case."

Sokka then averted his eyes from Soana then to the moon and smiled faintly.
"Yue's up there."

Soana smiled softly at the mention of her younger sister.
"I know. She's very pretty."

"Yeah," Sokka said then looked to Soana.
"You and her don't look anything alike, no offense."

Slightly offended, the princess tilted her head nonchalantly.
"Yeah, I got that a lot when we were kids. We both had different mothers, but the same father."

"Oh," He said.
"That must have been hard, having a sibling who didn't belong to your mom."

Soana huffed a sigh.
"Yes, but she was my sister, and I loved her dearly. I mean when she was with us, she would always steal my clothes and jewelry without telling me."

"That's must've been annoying. My sister can be that way."

"Yeah, at the time it was but when a sibling dies, there's a gaping hole in the other relative's life." Soana released a shaky breath and looked to Sokka.

"I would appreciate your sister if I were you. She does a lot for this group and I know she perceives to be annoying, but when she's gone there's no way you can get her back. And you will regret everything you didn't do with her when she was alive. Then suddenly what you thought about her that was so annoying turns into a mere memory of joy."

Sokka nodded.
"What fond memory do you have of Yue?"

Soana grinned.
"We always pranked the kitchen aides when we would have a feast. We would take a dish away every time they left the food alone in the kitchen. We almost made it to where we got the roasted platypus bear, but one of my father's advisors caught us. We got in trouble but it was a fond memory i have of her, my favorite in fact."

Sokka bowed his head slightly.
"I don't think I have a favorite memory of me and Katara."

"Is there anything you've done together that you thought was fun?"

"I don't know. Anytime I try to think of anything Katara and I did together that was memorable was when we left the South Pole to go with Aang."

"If you happen to make any memories with her, it's best you remember them. You never know what could happen."

Sokka turned to the princess and bowed.
"Thank you, Princess."

Soana shook her head at him.
"Don't call me by my title. We're human and we're equal. Just call me Soana, as my name is a given."

"Yes, your grace." His eyes went wide as he caught himself. "I mean, Princess, -erm-, oh boy."

Sokka's shoulders slumped.

Soana giggled.
"It's okay, Sokka."

The boy started to straighten his posture, feeling a bit foolish for stammering.
"Okay... Soana." He said slowly.

"We'll work on it." She continued giggling.

The day had risen and Soana expected to feel the touch of Zuko's hand on her, but there was nothing. Only the cool wind that flowed through the air temple.

She pushed the blanket off herself and stumbled out of bed. After she readied herself by fixing her wavy brown hair and braids, she walked out to find Sokka.

"Morning, Soana!" Sokka waved to her.

"G'morning." She greeted.

"Where's Katara and Toph?"

"They went to scavenge for tree nuts and firewood."

"Sueh?"

"She's hunting."

"And the boys?"

"Down in the hall of statues. They're acting pretty glum since Reid's not here."

Soana sighed and spoke, knowing Sokka would be the only person willing to listen.
"I'm still worried. It's been an entire day."

Sokka shrugged, poking at the fire.
"Maybe they got held up somewhere?"

"I have a retching feeling in my stomach, Sokka."

"I think that was the porridge from last night. It was Sueh's secret recipe."

Soana cringed.
"I know Zuko. He never gets sidetracked. When he's focused on something, he goes for it."

"That explains why he was so determined to find you and the Avatar." He chuckled.

"I'm serious, Sokka!" Soana persisted.
"It shouldn't be taking this long!"

"They will be fine. I understand I don't know Zuko and Reid, but I know Aang. Everything will be alright."

"I hope so." Soana muttered.
"If they're not back tomorrow at dawn, I'm going to look for them with or without anyone's help."

Sokka looked at Soana perplexed.
"I think you're just cranky. Besides, you're not going to do that. We're not losing another Northern Water Tribe Princess. You need to stay put and wait until Zuko comes back."

The princess glared at Sokka then groaned before stomping away to go back into her room.