43

Daylight had arose after several hours of coasting above the clouds

Daylight had arose after several hours of coasting above the clouds. Zuko fed the fire using his bending to keep the three afloat on the Fire Nation war balloon he had hijacked from his escape in the capital.

Soana had been asleep for the majority of the journey, so only Sokka and Zuko were the ones maintaining course to the Boiling Rock prison. Well, only Zuko was maintaining course. Sokka was just enjoying himself by lounging about.

"Pretty clouds." Sokka said, making Soana stir awake.

She fluttered her eyes open to see the two of them standing in silence with the only noise being the propeller on the back of the balloon.

"Yeah, fluffy." Zuko said awkwardly.

"Shut up."
Soana huffed and attempted to go back to sleep by closing her eyes, but Sokka's whistling disrupted her.

She groaned silently as Zuko turned, facing Sokka.
"What?"

"Oh, what? I didn't say anything." Sokka shrugged.
"Soana must be talking in her sleep."

A moment of awkward silence passed, making Soana start drifting off, but Sokka continued to talk.

"You know, a friend of mine actually designed these war balloons."

"No kidding." Zuko chuckled.

"Yep. A balloon, but for war."

"If there's one thing my dad's good at, it's war." Zuko responded then bended more flames into the furnace.

"Yeah, it seems to run in the family." Sokka remarked.

"Hey," Zuko glared.
"Not everyone in my family is like that."

"I know, I know. You've changed." Sokka put his hands up in defense.

"I meant my uncle. He was more of a father to me, and I've really let him down."

"I think your uncle would be proud of you. Leaving your home to come help us? That's hard."

"It wasn't that hard." Zuko sighed.

"Really? You didn't leave behind anyone you cared about?"

Soana felt Zuko's amber gaze on her. He smiled softly and shook his head.
"No, I didn't. The only person I really care about is here with me and you."

Sokka smiled approvingly, giving the princess a quick glance.

The prince felt his heart soften at Soana's relaxed body engulfed in a wool blanket.
"She and I didn't have the best relationship to begin with."