29

It was now evening

It was now evening. It was after dinner -before the party- that not only had Soana been invited but also Zuko, Azula, Ty Lee, and Mai.

She didn't know how the situation between the five would go being in the same place at the same time, but to begin with the process of patching things up Lo and Li decided to give Zuko and Soana the only guest room in the hut since they were married while Azula and her friends shared Lo and Li's room.

Soana was in the bedroom getting dressed for the party when she heard Zuko enter.

"Are you okay? You didn't show to dinner. I was worried."
Zuko said, closing the door.

"Zuko!"
When he turned around he saw Soana slipping a red dress over her head. She quickly tugged it down and brushed a piece of hair out of her face to look presentable.

He stared at her in astonishment.

"What?" She questioned him.

He shook his head to snap himself out of his trance.
"Uh, are you okay?" He asked Soana.

"I'm fine." She answered him in a non-hostile tone.
"I'm not hungry for what you were having. Besides, Chan will have food and drinks at the party. It'll be fine."

"Oh okay." Zuko said.
"You look great."

"I'm not even dressed yet, smart one."
She chuckled and grabbed a gold and red jeweled pendant necklace then struggled to connect it.

She stared at herself in the mirror before she saw Zuko coming in behind her.
"Allow me." He said, moving her hair to the side.

Soana got goosebumps when she felt him touch her hair. Her shoulders went numb when he linked the necklace together in the back then place his hands on her biceps gently.

In the mirror they made eye contact for the longest time. Soana felt his warm body close against her back.

"You don't have to say it back, but I will. I love you, Soana. You look so amazing."

She sent him a small smile then looked at the floor. She moved her head to let her hair fall against her back then shrugged off Zuko's grip like it was nothing.

Although the prince was taken aback, he felt that her silent gesture -her small smile- was enough to satisfy him. He knew he was making progress, slowly but effectively.

After she went to the other side of the bedroom to grab her sandals there was a rapid knock on their door.

"Come in." Zuko announced as he removed his robe and search for an outfit.