Strength is All

Altina was out on the stone deck of her palace, overlooking several villages and towns. Serot was beside her, reading a book.

She was thinking about the things she had done to take control of the kingdom.

She pushed the king of Vaequiles at the time off of the throne by force.

Vaequilian tradition followed that whoever won a duel between two people would be considered to be more significant.

She had defeated the king, and she decided to make her point by killing him.

She had fought off the commanders and generals one by one as well, finding herself to be in the position of the victor each time.

None of the royal subjects could do anything, as the figure of royalty had been replaced.

By Vaequilian law, she was the Queen.

"Your honor."

She turned around.

"General Frank."

"I have some news that is bound to make you upset. Should I tell you now or have someone address this matter later?"

"Oh, tell me now. It can't be that bad."

Frank stayed silent.

"Frank?"

"Oh, yes... the villagers of... Destin. They've given into Vaequiles. There are rumors that many of the villagers decided to join the Endeavors, along with the Chief of the town."

"Damn it." Altina whispered.

"Sorry?"

"Nothing, nothing."

Frank quickly left her.

"Gods, why would they follow Zealorians' pointless ideals instead of my strength? Those foolish traitors have no idea what they are doing."

"We don't need them, anyway. You're still stronger than any ruler Vaequiles could have asked for." Serot replied. His face showed obvious detest for his sister, but she was turned away.

"Thank you, Serot."

He was right, though. She didn't need her people. She had herself as strength.

To her, she was the one offering her people safety by having them in her kingdom.

They are like sheep. Without a shepherd, they are lost.

That, is exactly what had happened to Zealorus.

"Serot. Position soldiers around the border between Vaequiles and Zealorus to keep them from leeching off of our land."

"Yes, ma'am."