Confrontation

"Arlo. I would like to speak to you."

It was Gale.

He had been called to the command post in the morning to meet up with him to talk about something.

Arlo knew it would be about what Pierce was doing in Vaequiles.

The news spread so far as to even in Zealorus. He had heard that the villages even in Zealorus were buzzing about this.

"Yes?" Arlo replied.

"I believe you're well aware of the situation in Vaequiles. Something to do with Czarina."

Arlo gulped.

Here it comes.

"Was this your doing?"

Arlo looked down.

"I'm sorry. I just... I really believed that this was the right thing to do."

Arlo heard Gale as he breathed in.

"I... I'm sorry." Arlo spoke softly.

Gods, I shouldn't have done this...

"I'm sorry I doubted you."

Arlo froze.

"Wha-?" he got cut off by Gale.

"You had said that in your visions you had seen Vaequiles and Zealorus in a united state, and it was pretty clear that it was Aerys who showed you this. I... doubted you, and I was wrong to do so."

"I see. It was right of you to doubt it, though. I sounded like a madman." Arlo responded.

Gale paused.

"I myself was born in Vaequiles." Gale sighed, "I was kidnapped at a young age, and I loved Zealorus far more than I ever did Vaequiles. I got ahead of myself and forgot I was once one of them."

"I... see..." Arlo stared into the space in front of him.

Gale continued.

"Thanks to what Pierce has done, it looks like this has put us in a more favorable position. Vaequilian villagers are already gathering up to attack the royale palace and..."

"And...?"

"We have enough people on our side to emerge victorious against the Vaequilian army."

Arlo stood up, shocked.

"Don't get too excited. We still have less men... we just have enough to win if we get lucky."

"A chance is a chance, isn't it?" Arlo sat back down.

"It is. May I ask you, how did you spread the news?" Gale asked.

"Oh..." Arlo chuckled as he scratched the back of his head. "Pierce went out to spread the news."

"Pierce...? When?"

"The past few days. He luckily returned mostly unharmed."

"I had not realized..." Gale put his hands over his face, "I must be growing slow."

"What does the king have to say of this?" Arlo asked.

"Not a word. Recently... he's been sick. Very sick. I think his time may be running out... We have to get this war over quickly."

Arlo didn't respond.

Arlo realized how weird his world would be without Onkarden, even when they didn't know each other well personally.

The king is... ill?

He's ways been here...