Defending the Border

Arlo looked down as Alice positioned her pegasus for landing.

It only took a minute to get to the border.

Alice landed and signaled him to get off, which he did. She returned to the sky.

They had landed a little ways from the border.

Arlo rushed to the soldiers who were fighting. There were about three hundred soldiers on their side alone.

We have backup, but it's still not enough to fight back.

Arlo didn't have to think to see that they were losing ground.

"Retreat and hold them off until more backup arrives!" he commanded.

The soldiers quickly turned around and began to retreat, with the Vaequilians chasing after them.

Arlo looked behind him to see the rest of the backup.

It's gonna take them at least ten more minutes for them to get here.

The pegasus knights had dropped off several archers who quickly joined the battle.

Arlo ran up to the border to try and take out some soldiers himself.

The soldiers who were commanded to guard the border were set up in a single row with enough room for two people to stand shoulder-to-shoulder between every soldier.

Arlo jumped out of the way of a soldier that tried to axe him and stabbed him in the stomach.

He heard an arrow whiz by his head and land on a soldier that was running towards him.

He blocked another enemy's swing and the soldier beside him shanked him with a knife.

"Where's your sword?" he called to the soldier who had helped him.

"It broke!" the soldier responded, dodging a strike from another enemy that tried to slash at him.

"Take mine!"

Arlo tossed him his own sword which he caught and used to quickly took down another Vaequilian soldier.

I guess the training the soldiers take in the Endeavors are efficient.

Arlo stepped back to see that the backup was finally here.

The enemies were going down much faster now with the help of the backup, and he could see that the tides were changing.

Suddenly, the Vaequilians stopped attacking and began retreating.

"Is it over?" he heard a soldier beside him ask.

"It seems so." Eunice grinned, pointing up. "we put archers on the pegasus to try and snipe from above. It seems to have worked!"

"Nice!" Arlo said as he looked to the wounded.

They had lost a lot of land. Just about fifteen minutes to walk back to the command post.

This was bad.

He watched as Eunice rushed over to a wounded soldier, and he followed.

"How is he?"

"Seems to have been stabbed in the stomach. Get him to the medics."

He looked behind him to see Claire rush over.

"I can heal him." she crouched beside him and began using her spells.

Arlo watched as a green aura appeared around her hand, and the soldier's wound closed up.

"He's gonna be out for a couple hours, quickly, get him to the medics."

She got up and ran towards the next in need of help.

Eunice had a look of awe on her face.

"Did she just completely heal him?"

"I think."

"Woah... we have small spells that treat the wounds, but she just completely healed him. He didnt even have a scar..."

Arlo watched Claire heal another soldier. Just a minute ago ge had been lying on the floor with a deep wound in his leg, and he was already standing back up.

Her talent for spellcasting was immaculate.

That's... amazing.