Into A Hole

I give the boys a threatening look, wanting them to piss their pants, and I'm pretty sure Lincoln has. I'm taking that as a yes. They aren't going to lay another hand on her. They aren't even going to talk to her if they say one more bad thing about her. I hope that scared them enough.

But the one thing I know about my friends is that once they are determined to do something, they do it. No matter what. That's what scares me most. If they want to hurt Reign, they don't care about any threats I make. They are going to do what they want, even if I beat them in the back of an alley. It's good for other occasions, but not with my girl it's not.

"So, can we get back to the football topic?"

"Continue. I need another drink."

Houston stands across the table from me, coming over to the bar with me.

"Does she know we're related?"

"I think she had a thought of it months ago, the first time I met her, but there were bigger things at hand."

"Like what?"

"Our buddies locked her in a closet, and she had a panic attack."

"Oh, shit. I might beat them up."

"I thought you didn't like her."

"No, nothing like that. I just didn't like her the same way she used to. Now, she's going to become my sister in law."

I get the bartender's attention, not responding to Houston.

"Wait. Hold up. You're thinking about marrying this girl?"

"She's not just any girl."

"So is that a yes?"

"I didn't say anything."

"I'm your brother, twin brother at that. You don't have to say anything. Are you wanting to marry her?"

"We started dating yesterday."

"Have you ever heard of love at first sight?"

"First of all, it wasn't. And second, I'm not ready for that."

Houston chuckles, taking a sip of his second glass of beer.

"No one ever is. If I learned one thing from our parents, it's that love is worth everything. It's worth the world when it's right."

"I don't know if it's right. She's my life. She means everything to me. I can barely breath when she's not around. When I wasn't hers, nothing tasted right. Everything looked so dull."

"And now?"

"The world couldn't be brighter. Everything before her...just...doesn't exist. I don't even know who I was before her."

"You're in love with her."

Was I? Was I really in love with Reign? I think about her for a moment. The freckles across her nose. The way she bites her lip. The way she lets me make her smile and happy. I think about everything she's gone through and how she still trusts me. How she forgives even the worst mistake. How she still loves her parents even though they treat her wrong. I think about everything about her, and I love her. I'm in love with her. I'm in love with Reign. I smile because I'm never letting her go. I could be with her for the rest of my life. What a wonderful life that would be.

"Am I right?"

"I'm in love with her."

"So...what are you going to do about it?"