chapter 14

KHALID

Finally, it was the examination season, the whole school grew quiet and everyone could be seen reading even on the assembly, that was one thing about JANU students, we all took our exams serious.

I walked into the library planning to revise my technical drawing, other sciences were still in the exam hall doing Agric while the commercial were currently doing Commerce, I didn't really know much about the Arts but seeing that Kikiope and Bimpe weren't at our usual spot means they were also having exam.

Our library was a storey building painted in blue and white, the colour of our school, lots of wooden table and chairs were dispersed around it. The library was unusually full, somewhere that on a normal school day was like a love arena, it was like our school library could better be termed love arena instead of library.

I decided to sit at a corner where a girl was resting her head on the table, probably sleeping but how did they not catch her? I pulled out a chair opposite her and it made a noisy sound.

"Who is that cretin gan?" A voice which I instantly recognized half- shouted before our eyes met, her frown slipped into a smile.

"Hey, Khalid , what are you doing here?" She inquired while rubbing her eyes.

"To read of course," I stated the obvious, and she laughed, it felt like a song to my ear, one that I don't mind listening to every time.

"But wait, your face is somehow shining oo, is it the exam that is making you that happy?" She teased and I chuckled. How would exam make one shine and happy?

"You're not okay, I'm just happy that my mum called last night," I admitted, and she sat uprightly.

"Wow, so, what did she say?"

"The unexpected."

"Abeg, talk jare," she gesticulated with her palm and I smiled.

"Well, she wants us to travel together during the holiday, she said she'll be based in Paris then, I can't believe I'm going to spend a whole three weeks with my mother," I said happily.

"That's good news, just that I'll miss you during the holiday."

"Really?" I teased.

She pursed her lips before responding, "Realla, ode, who do I spend the holidays with before?"

"Me, of course," I pointed at my chest proudly, and she rolled her eyes.

"Be feeling yourself."

"But, why were you sleeping when I came in?"

She pouted, "I wasn't sleeping, just skimming through the pages."

"Hmm, skimmer but wait, where is Bimpe?" I asked while looking around the library.

"I left the exam hall before her though I told her I would be in the library, but she hasn't showed up," Kikiope explained and I nodded.

"Oh, I see," I responded.

"So, you came here to read?"

"Noo, to watch the lovers," I replied sarcastically, and she dashed me a scowl.

"Like, I think JANU should just consider changing this library to love arena and build a new library," Kikiope suggested and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Love arena ko, love library nii."

She eyed me and placed her textbook on the table.

"So, what are you guys having next?" I queried.