14

I'm surprised Xander didn't ask any further even when he heard me say 'unnie'...Well, I guess he doesn't know what it means.

I felt someone hug me from behind when I reached my room. This isn't brother's scent and he isn't the type to show affection first.

Out of reflex, I threw a punch but missed. Well, for now, it's a good thing I created some distance. I glanced around searching for Arian, since he's asleep he might be in danger.

"Who are you? What did you do with my snake?" My eyes narrowed at the man in front of me, even if he is beautiful I need to keep my guard up.

"Master..." His ruby red eyes saddened which confused me.

"...Arian?" The man in front of me nodded, his long silky silver hair framed his face.

"You can turn into a human? So you have three forms." He nodded again, did he lose his ability to speak?

"Arian, why aren't you saying anything? And why are you crying?" I want to wipe away his tears but he's too tall. Don't tell me...

"Is it because of my previous life?" I asked carefully as he nodded. "You shouldn't be sad over that, it's all in the past."

"But that as*hole of a father made you hurt so much, not to mention there was that guy who betrayed you after he flirted with you and... and that b*tch why did you even trust her?" Waaaaa!" Arian wailed.

...I don't think Arian's behavior was like this in the beginning, or is it because we haven't interacted much. He's like a baby, well I don't mind since it's kind of cute.

"I agree with you that my father was an as*hole but I was the one who chose to trust them even when I know I shouldn't. The b*tch you mentioned, it may be stupid but I thought I could use her to replace my late sister. I thought she might be able to heal the hole in my heart.

And that guy, he treated me kindly and I couldn't sense any ulterior motives from him from the start so I kind of let my guard down. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any romantic feelings for him but I guess I did get attached. But it's all in my past, so stop crying, hmm?" I coaxed.

"...master. Why did you have to suffer so much?"

"Suffer? I guess I did go through a lot...but I am still fortunate enough to have food and shelter. I may be starved sometimes but I did eat after a few days. Compared to me, there are more who are suffering."

Ah, his tears finally stopped. But putting this aside, why isn't brother back yet? It's quite late.

"Luna."

Speak of the devil... Ah, good thing Arian knew that he had to turn back into a snake. He didn't hear our conversation, did he?

[If you're worried about whether he heard us, I cast a sound barrier beforehand.]

"Brother! Luna missed you." I beamed as he entered the room.

Acacius took a seat on the bed looking at me. Does he want me to go there? Are we going to take a nap again? But I'm not tired...

"Come here." He said patting his lap.

"Are we going to nap, brother?" I asked positioning myself on his lap.

"...no...not yet." 

So we are going to nap. I felt something cold against my neck. A necklace? I tilted my head in confusion.

"It contains my magic. It'll protect you if you ever plan to sneak out like today. It's just for precaution, in case I don't make it there in time." He burrowed his face into the crook of my neck.

Sneak out? Oh, I forgot to tell him I was visiting Xander. That was my bad.

"So it'll make a barrier to protect Luna from the bad guys?" I asked taking the glossy red pendant in my palm. It's shiny, it's swirling if I look closely, is it because it's magic?

"Their heart will burst if there's murderous intent," Brother answered with his usual calm tone.

...I should have realized this earlier but Acacius doesn't sweet-coat words huh? If any other children hear what he just said, I think they'll burst into tears and quiver in fear. 

But I guess this is why he was late today, it's kind of sweet if you neglect the 'make people's heart burst' feature.

"Thank you! Luna thinks it's very pretty, hehe." I faced him, while he just nodded.

...what should I say? Seriously, I've run out of topics to start a conversation. This is going to be awkward again- he fell asleep? Though sleep is not necessary for us, it's still refreshing. Well, honestly I sleep out of habit.

He looks so peaceful sleeping, usually, I'm the one who falls asleep first so I never got the chance to take a good look. In the end, he is still a nine-year-old child. In the story, Acacius could never let his guard down around anyone, not to mention sleep. I guess this is a good sign.

I wonder why I'm so attached to him...it might be because we've been relying on only each other through the years. Honestly, I'm scared...I'm scared that once the protagonist shows up he'll not look my way anymore. 

I won't have anyone I can rely on. I'll go back to being alone. I don't want him to be the one who'll end my life. But more than that, I'm afraid that he won't find true happiness with the protagonist...she won't love him for him.

"Brother...please be happy."

Oh my, his hair is so fluffy! I thought it'd be rough but it's surprisingly soft. This is addicting, I just wanted to pat his head once but I can't stop.

"...Luna." He lazily half-lidded his eyes.

Ack, I woke him up. Is he still half asleep?

"Don't...ever...leave me."

He went back to sleep...a smile made its way to my face, I'm glad the feelings' mutual.