VIII. IN THE LITTLE NOOK OF THE JOKE SHOP

IN THE LITTLE NOOK OF THE JOKE SHOP!

OCTOBER 1976

6th Year

• • • •

"It's like Christmas came early." Maxine grinned, as she and the raven-haired girl entered Zonko's Joke Shop.

"Christmas in our houses must be very different," Holland told her, "Which I would find very surprising." The girl added, surveying the shelves.

"You know what I mean." Maxine smiled at the girl.

"I suppose it is a little like Christmas," Holland mused, nodding, as she and the redhead ventured further into the rather busy shop, looking around at all the joke products, pushing through the excited Hogwarts students that were bustling around them, "If Christmas meant presents, colour, happiness and no surprise engagements."

"Ah, Slytherin Pureblood Christmases." Maxine faked a smile.

"What joy." Holland finished, sarcastically, as she laughed along laughed along with the girl.

"Do you think we should get something for Bron's sister?" Maxine asked.

"Probably." Holland nodded, as the pair surveyed the shop.

"Ooh, a Robot Lilliput!" Maxine exclaimed, smiling at the idea of getting one for her best friend's little sister, "I need to get her one before they run out, I'll be right back." She said, aiming the last part to her friend.

"Take your time." The shorter Slytherin told her, as she watched the redhead disappear in the sea of students, before walking to the back of the shop, looking at the shelves in front of her, eyeing some fireworks, making her pick them up in order to get a better look at them, "Dr Filibuster's Fabulous Wet-Start, No-Heat Fireworks." The Irish girl muttered under her breath, eyebrows furrowed as she looked the item, intrigued.

"Uh, those are magical fireworks that are set off when wet with water." A familiar voice said from behind Holland, making the corners of her mouth twitch upwards, her lips forming a small grin at the sound of it, "A good choice, really."

"Good afternoon, Remus."

"Good afternoon, Holland." The boy said, as she turned around, both sporting a similar smile.

Although, Holland's smile quickly dropped upon looking at the Gryffindor's face, his own doing the same as he realised the cause of her quick change in mood.

"Remus," She softly gasped, her hand involuntarily reaching up to delicately trace the fresh scars that ran across his face. Three, to be exact, "What happened?" She questioned.

Remus coughed, "Oh, um, nothing to worry about," He quickly dismissed, as Holland dropped her hand from his face, letting it go back to join her other hand in holding the firework she had picked up off the shelf, no-one paying any notice to the pair as they stood in the little nook of the shop, away from prying eyes, "Rough couple of days."