XI. HALLOWEEN OF '76

HALLOWEEN OF '76!

OCTOBER 1976

6th Year

• • • •

Holland was walking around the Hogwarts corridors, hugging her Care of Magical Creatures textbook close to her chest, having just come back from the library.

It was Halloween and the ball would be starting in a couple of hours, which meant that if she were to go back to her Common Room, Maxine would drag her up to their dormitory and force the raven-haired girl sit as the redhead faffed about with make-up and hair, which Holland really wasn't prepared for.

Her thoughts wondered to Potions class a few days prior, it was one of the only things on her mind. She could still smell the old books, lavender and chocolate.

Chocolate.

The smell she most associated with Remus Lupin, remembering that scent from when the boy had hugged her on the their rounds the other night. And then there it was in a potion that smelt like what you were attracted to.

Holland couldn't possibly be attracted to Remus. Sure, she found him good looking, there was no denying that. And sure, she enjoyed talking with him, as they had quite a few things in common. And sure, standing in his embrace was the most cared for and protected she had felt in a long time. And yeah, he had beautiful eyes that she could easily get lost in for hours. And-

Holland suddenly stopped walking.

"Holy shit."

The girl panicked slightly, before swiftly turning around and rushing to the Slytherin Common Room, shaking her head, trying to get these thoughts out of her head.

Meanwhile, Remus watched from the courtyard the Irish girl sped away. She had been in his thoughts for past couple of days, as he couldn't help but think about her. He knew that there was no doubt that the potion had smelt like that because of her.

Remus couldn't possibly be attracted to Holland. There was no doubt that she was unequivocally beautiful, to him she was one of the most beautiful girls in the world, if not the most beautiful. And Remus could listen to her talk for hours, her melodic voice stringing words together like a tune with that enchanting accent of hers. Sure, talking to her was his favourite time of day. But that didn't mean-

Remus froze.

"Oh wow."

***

The Great Hall was abuzz with excitement, as students entered, clad in costumes, dress robes or dresses, all wearing masks to cover their faces. It was, after all, a masquerade ball.

Holland smiled as she walked into where they would usually celebrate this day with a feast, gasping at the decorations that the teachers and some fifth year Prefects had put up.