Chapter 3: Veronica's

I wasn't sure how the six of us managed to fit on Veronica's queen sized bed, but we all sat in a circle on top of the light pink comforter. She had a pile of magazines stacked in the middle, no doubt the newest issues of any gossip magazine around. If her family was ever to go completely broke, it would be because Veronica and her mom. They spent all the money.

        It's not like that would happen, considering how rich her parents really were, or at least how loaded her dad was. I'm pretty sure I'd never seen Mrs. RIvers work a day in her life. She was always at home, the store, the mall, or with her friends. She was this pretty brunette that looked more like a model than a mother. It's not like she didn't have time to get back in shape though. Veronica was her only child, so losing the baby fat wasn't that difficult.

        Mrs. Rivers was a sweet lady, but I always had this feeling in the back of my head that when Veronica's friends leave,she is completely different. Veronica tells me how she can be a bitch, or a mom who thinks she's still young and single. I'd like to think that a pretty smile she gives us when we walk into the house is the same as when we leave. The thought of her family being anything less than what it seemed made everyting else feel fake. I know it's an awkward way to look at it, but I've known these people almost my entire life.

        "Orlando Bloom is so hottt!" Veronica sighed, leaning against her white headboard with an US Weekly in her hand. I never really understood her obsession with celebrities. I knew that it was Veronica's dream to become famous, but I really did enjoy just being myself. I didn't want to trade my life, my family or anyone to become someone big. I just didn't understand the appeal to have people following you around twenty-four-seven and not getting a single moment to yourself.

        "Ugh, Jason is literally blowing up my phone," Ava grumbled in anoyance while glaring at her phone. Veronica looked over criously before pulling out her own phone. She scolded briefly, and I was sure instantly it was because she didn't have any messages or missed calls herself. I understood why it bothered her though. If I had guys willing to date me like they were willing to date her, I'd feel like I might have done something wrong when they weren't calling. It seemed like a big burden to be talking to so many guys at once.

        Almost like clockwork, my phone vibrated in my pocket. Nolan was texting me, and I felt a small grin across my fave while sliding my phone open and reading silently to myself.

        Hey hot stuff (: What're you doing?

        Ronnie's for the night, why?

        I placed my phone on the bed, flipping through a magazine without reading anything. I was glancing at the pictures as the girls talked around me, half listening to them, half dazing off.

        "Why is he texting?" Jay asked, lookng at Ava while taking a sip of her drink. Ava shrugged, leaning her head to the side. Sophia moved her fingers through it, announcing she wanted to braid it. Ava willingly let her, loving whenever someone played with her hair.

        "He keep sasking me what I'm doing." Her boyfriend of one month usually texted her constantly. He was a nice kid, even if he was a jerk at times. I didn't particularly like him, but it wasn't my life and she could do what she wanted.

        "Funny, cause Nolan keeps asking Kara," I felt my eyebrows furrow in confusion. How in the world did she know that?  And why was I being brought into the conversation?

        I glanced towards her, noticing that the phone she held carelessly in her grip was mine. I scoffed at her, snatching it from her. She glared at me when she realized the phone that was in her had was now in mine. I set my jaw, looking at her. She knows that I hate when she goes through my phone.

        "Someone's being dramatic," Veronica sang in an annoying voice. I really couldn't stand when she did that. She made me look like I got mad over nothing. As far as I'm concerned, she hated when I touched her phone. But she always was playing with mine, reading my tests, and even answering back to people. It made me angry.

        I ignored her, going back to my phone and noticing that she answered back toNolan for me. I was receiving a message from him once again.

        Sweet, what time will you guys be here?

        I glanced through my other messages, rolling my eyes at the fact that Veronica told him we'd go to Jason's house for a party he was having. I was slightly ticked off. I didn't like the fact that she was pretending to be me, or flirting with Nolan with smiley faces and hearts. I know it's not a huge deal, but to me, it's just something that you don't do with your best friend's boyfriend. Maybe I'm just over reacting, but I don't know.

        "Jason's having a party. Who wants to go?" Veronica looked over each of us, excitement in her eyes. Charlotte faltered at my side, not wanting to go very much either. She glanced at her hand, fiddling with her fingernails. "Oh, come on. It'll be fun."

        "You said that when we went to the last party," Jay's voice was low as she muttered to herself. Veronica's eyes became guarded, glaring toward Jay's dark expression. I wasn't sure why there was so much hostility between the two of them. I didn't understand this exchange, either.

        "Well, some people are smart, Jay," her voice held a secret, and Jay sunk back into her skin. She hid her eyes, glancing towards the magazine that she had in front of her. I bit the inside of my cheek, looking at Ava and Sophia. Their eyes were happy, enthused by the idea.

        "I'm in," Ava grinned happily. It had impressed Veronica; it was obvious by the triumphant look on her face. Sophia agreed almost instantly, and I grumbled to myself in disappointment. There was no way any of us were getting out of it now. Three of the six of us wanted to go, and since one of the three was Veronica, our futures were set in stone.

        "Kara, stop being annoying. Why woudn't you want to go? Nolan's going to be there." This was her way of trying to convince me. I knew that Ronnie was just trying to encourage me to see my boyfriend and have a good time. Whenever I was at a party, I never really felt safe. Maybe it was because of the people I was with, or the it was held. I just didn't like it; it made me feel uncomfortable.

        "Not in the mood," I let out my breath, leaning my chin against my palm. I didn't really have a reason to not want to go besides that. I was hoping she would buy it, but I knew Veronica. She wouldn't let me stay here by myself.

        "Looks like we're getting dressed up," she squealed happily before sliding off her bed. She mad eher way across her room towards her closet. When she pushed open the door and flicked on the light, you could see her walk inside. The thing was huge and held clothes that are probably two years ahead of fashion in the United States.

        Ava and Sophia excitedly followed her into the closet, calling dibs on certain dresses and skirts. I rolled my eyes at them, noticing Jay and Charlotte had yet to move. But reluctantly, Jay got up and followed them into the closet. She had this lack of emotion in her step, like she was walking to her dorm.

        Charlotte and I only looked at each other for half a second before slowly getting up and following. I let out another large breath, already hoping that it was the morning after. A hang over and lack of sleep sounded so much better than this.