Chapter 45: Why (Rian's POV)

Something had changed in Kara since the last time I saw her. In just two short days, there was something different. The small things, the stupid things I shoudn't be noticing, but did.

        It was almost like she wasn't interested anymore. She only texted me if I texted her first. She barely talked to me in English, and I could swear she tried to avoid catching my eye. I didn't know what the hell had changed, but it annoyed me that I'd even noticed in the first place.

        At lunch, I'd noticed hre eyes land on mine for the first time in days, but when I tried to acknowledge her, it was like she hadn't even been looking at me in the first place; like she'd been dreaming and looking right through me. I felt a rush of disappointment and annoyance, and then anger that I was even getting mad at all.

        I turned my attention back to Jack's story, laughing along with everyone else to appear as if I'd been paying attention. The new girl Alex brought oday, Melanie, I think, laughed loudly, leaning hopelessly into Alex's side. On other occasions I would pity whatever girl was stupid enough to get involved with Alex, but Melanie had a reputation, and her presence was annoying.

        Her laugh died down, but her smile stayed just as wide as she looked over my head, waving at someone. I turned and noticed a group of girls heading towards our table, reminding me of Veronica by the way they carried themselves.

        Katie, the girl in front, squeezed onto the seat beside me, gripping my arm and beaming a hello. I smiled back, not trying to hide my sour attitude. It wasn't that I didn't like Katie, she just tried too hard. I told her, as nicely as I could, that I wasn't interested in her when she'd suggested we hang out as more than friends, but she wouldn't let it go.

        Katie started talking to me, and I forced myself to play along, wanting to rip my arm away every time she laughed at something I said, funny or not. Maybe I was being harsh, but whatever was going on Kara was stuck in the back of my mind, a constant annoyance.

---------------------------

        By the end of the day, my mood had gone even more downhill. My science teacher decided to quiz us on the labs we'd done the day before, and even though I was positive I'd gotten at least a B, I knew I could've done better. My already bad mood made me testy about things.

        At the end of the day, I was contemplating calling Sue and telling her I couldn't come into work today, but the only thing stopping me that was that Kara was sceduled to work with me, and I'd actually get a chance to talk to her, maybe.

        "Dude, why didn't you tell us," I heard Jack exclaim to my right. I shut my locker, turning to greet a punch in the arm. I glared at Jack, who continued to stare with a large grin.

        "Tell you what?" I muttered, resisting the urge to punch Jack back.

        "You and that blonde chick all over you at lunch," Jack started, "You.." Alex hit Jack hard, and he stuttered to a stop, about to open his mouth to protest when he saw what had made Alex hit him.

        Kara was walking down the hallway, accompanied by her friend with the long, red hair: Charlotte, the friend who knew about us. She didn't look at me, and I had the feeling she'd forced herself to keep her eyes forward.

        "You got it in," Jack finished, after the girls disappeared.

        "With Kara? I already told you no," I said, not fuly understanding Jack's statement. I told them a thousand times I hadn't slept with her.

        "No, Katie," Alex said.

        "I didn't sleep with her either. I don't even like her," I sighed, moving away from my locker. Jack and Alex followed, keeping stride beside me.

        "Dude, the whole school's talking about it," Alex told me.

        "I didn't sleep with her," I slept firmly.

        "Then why..." Jack started, but I was at my car and didn't want to hear anything more from them.

        "I don't fucking know. I didn't sleep with her, alright?" I snapped, ignoring their expressions as I climbed into my car. Jack muttered something to Alex, probably a stupid joke about my attitude. They both laughed and then backed away.

        I sped to the shop, angry in general. I didn't even stop to think about how easily everything fit together until I was in the shop, face to face with Zack instead of Kara.

        "What are you doing here?" I asked, noting exactly how my voice sounded.

        "Kara called in sick," Zack said slowly, watching me as I moved behind the counter.

        "Of course she did," I grumbled, jamming my visor onto my head. THere was no way to deny that she was avoiding me now.

        "What's up with you?" Zack asked, leaning against the counter. I sighed, running a hand over my face. This whole thing was getting to me much more than it should have.

        "Kara's mad at me for some reason and people think that I slept with this girl," I said, shaking my head. If I could just talk to Kara, any problems could be sorted out, and rumors would blow over.

        "Don't you think Kara's mad because she thinks you slept with this other girl?" Zack wondered, emphasizing 'because'. I looked at Zack, wondering how I could've missed that.

        I bit down on my lip to keep myself from swearing. Why the hell hadn't I seen that? Kara thinking I'd slept with Katie. That'd make her angry with me. It was so obvious now.

        "Why would she believe whoever she heard that rumor from? Why wouldn't she have asked me about it?" I asked, mostly to myself, but I knew Zack could hear me. He opened his mouth to reply, but I answered myself first.

        The first name that crossed my mind brought back all the annoynace I'd been feeling today, "Of fucking course." I hissed. I knew why.

        "Dude, where are you going? You can't just leave!" Zack yelled, as I left.

        I responded as I flung the door open, barely hearing the bell. I wasn't even sure Zack could hear me, "I need to talk to Kara!"