Chapter 5: Alone

"Your'e a real idiot, you know that?" I grumbled under my breath. Nolan's fingers lingered at my sides, holding onto my body as I examined his forehead. I was groggy from the party the night before, but my mind was clear for the most part. It was a night that I'm sure will be talked about for weeks. It's hard to remember what really happened, everything moved around so fast.

        Something about the entire brawl in Jason's living room really had my body on edge. It wasn't the first time I'd seen Nolan get into a fight. It was probably the third or fourth time, to be exact. Maybe it was the fact that the four guys had done nothing wrong. I wasn't sure what Nolan and Veronica had against them, if anything. The boy and I ran into was sweet.

        But I don't know if I can even blame it on him, because he seemed to be reacting to what Veronica was saying. And from the look of it, she was trying to get them riled up because we bumped shoulders. I didn't understand the blame she put on them; they didn't do anything but try to have a good time.

        The only thing that really stuck out about that entire fifteen minute fight was the arm that drew me away from being the center of the storm. I knew it wasn't Nolan, because he was lunging over my shoudler toward the boys. The arm belonged to the guy I'd run into, the one that didn't even want to fight in the first place. He tugged me out of the way, before attacking Nolan instantly.

        "Come on, Kara, they were asking for it," Nolan looked down at me with his crystal green eyes. They were longing as he smiled at me, looking for my forgiveness without having to ask for it. I rolled my eyes, ignoring the butterflies I always got in my stomach when he did that.

        "They didn't do anything, Nolan. You all owe Jason a new coffee table," I continued to brush my fingers over the wound on his forehead. He drove me to his house this morning, knowing his parents wouldn't be home to wonder why we were together in the first place. He propped himself on top of his counter while I prodded his wound in the light.

        "They were giving you and Ronnie a hard time. We were just helping you out." His legs squeezed around my torso as I stood between them, getting closer to his face. He scowled as I touched a sensitive bruise next to his broken eyebrow.

        "There was nothing to help out," I rolled my eyes with a goofy grin, taking a wam, damp wash cloth to his cut. I lifted his hand from my side, placing it on the fabric, indicating for him to hold it to his head. He let out an exaggerated breath, holding it lazily.

        His jaw was strong, and stubble was beginning to form. His hair had this natural model-like flip to the top that he never had to do himself. His light brown locks passed his ears slightly, and his complexion was abnormally clear for a senior in high school.

        I pulled a band aid from one of the drawers by the sink, pulling his hand away from the cut. The nude colored band aid blended in with his skin, and I smiled at my doctor skills. I admired my very simple work, before meeting Nolan's eyes.

        "Not even a thank you for my very serious injury?" he smirked at me, fingers tightening around my eyes as he leaned forward. He had an entire head on me from the position I was in, my nose skimmed his lower lip and I shivered.

        "Nope," I smiled back at him, allowing him to close the gap. His thin lips pushed against mine, allowing his hand to tug through my hair. I pulled my body closer to his, my stomach twisting in small knots. I smirked against his lips, laughing lightly as his mouth traveled down my jaw and to the nape of my neck.

        "Some might consider your laughing rude," he teased me, nose leaving a warm spot on my skin. I snorted at him, pulling away with another grin. He grumbled, pulling my body close again. I moved my hands from his sholders to his chest, pushing him away lightly.

        "I have to go home. No." I sighed, leaning away from his mouth. He grunted in protest, but I stayed strong. I knew that my sister was going to be home for dinner tonight. I wanted to see her; it was hard when she spent her summers with her best friend at the beach. She was an hour and a half away, and when she was in school, that was three hours.

        "Fine, you're no fun anyway," I could tell he was slightly frustrated by my need to go home. If there was one thing I knew about Nolan, it was that he had a pretty sensitive ego. Sometimes it was adorable, to see him so unsure about how I felt. But other times, it was a pain in the butt. I felt like I had to comfort his wounded sense of self constantly or he'd be angry.

        I was too tired to argue with him, and instead let him drag me out of the house. He only lived ten minutes from my house, and for the most part there was a lingering silence. It always made me jittery, but I didn't let it bother me. I feel like it makes sense because Nolan was still new to me, even if it's been three months. He was my second serious boyfriend, and I wasn't going to let some awkward moments ruin that.

        "I'll call you after dinner," I leaned over my seat as he pulled into my driveway, he took my kiss willingly, mouth sitting against mine much too long. I pulled away, ignoring the sour look on his face. I rolled my eyes at him, kissing my hand and waving in his direction as I got out of the car. Almost immediately, he had a smirk on his face.

        A little flirting just to get him to forget that I turned him away isn't being that much of a tease, right?

        I shook off the idea as I walked into the house, stepping onto the large front porch and instantly smelled the overwhelming scent of wood. When I shut the door, I noticed the claws of my dog, Moose, walking into the front hallway.

        "Hi, Moose," I cooed at him, patting the top of his head as I untangled my legs from his side. He continued to follow me, making it increasingly difficult just to make my way to the kitchen. I knew my parents wouldn't be home this morning either. It was Thursday so it was a work day for both of them. It made coming home after a party easier.

        It's not like I lied to my parents. I hated it, actually. But, I can't say no to Veronica, or any of the other girls for that matter. If I get on one of their bad sides, then I would be on all of their bad sides. And if that were to happen, I would no loner be their friend, just like what happened to Jessica Kinnon.

        Last year, Jessica was one of our best friends. She was the seventh grirl in our tight knit group and she was almost the leader. Veronica and her continuously spoke about each other, and always had something bad to say. I was sure it was only because of how outspoken their personalities were, and they clashed constantly. But they remained friends; they were too alike not to be.

        I remember the day that Veronica told Jessica to come to her house. She ditched her to hang out with a guy she was hooking up with. She told Veronica that she had more important things to do, and that as the final straw. Veronica swore her off for the rest of eternity, telling us that if we were to be her friend, we were no longer one of hers.

        I understood where Veronica was coming form, it made sense that she felt like she was being told that she was second rate compared to her new guy. Even though I would never admit it out loud, Jessica had a point too. She didn't have to answer to Veronica's every beck and call, none of us did.

        I was pretty sure we all did, though, because we were to oscared to see what would happen if we didn't.

        Jessica did alright for herself. She got a new gropu of friends to lead, and I guess they would be considered our 'rivals'. I don't necessarily care for the girls she hangs out with, but I really don't mind them either. There is nothing that they ever did to me and Veronica and Jessica's problems are between themselves. I'm just glad to see she bounced back to friends she can be with all the time again.

        My sister had left a note on the fridge, letting me know that she would be back around eleven. When I glanced at the clock on the microwave, it read 10:03 in the bold, green numbers. I bit the inside of my cheek, with an uneasy feeling in the silence that I wasn't used to.

        I was never alone anymore. I used to enjoy being by myself, but since I was with Veronica and the girls so much, it was so easy for me to go days with them and never spend any time at my house. My parents were working, friend's home, and sister gone. The small creaking of the wood floors moved under my feet. I cringed at how loud it sounded.

        In that second, I seemed to realize that I was afraid to be alone.