Chapter 42: More

I bounded the stairs to my house, only hearing my footsteps across the hardwood floor. I slid in my socks to the back door, where I could see a smile behind the glass. The sun was almost set, pathetic considering it was only five o'clock. My heart was beating quickly, it was the frist time in five days that I've been exciting.

        I pressed my knee to it, applying pressure while twisting the lock and allowing Rian to pull at the handle with his hand. I wanted for his embrace, body pressing closely to mine, fingers holding the bottom of my shirt lightly. My skin burned when his knuckles brushed my hips, and the side of my neck sizzled when he leaned his face into it, nuzzling obnoxiously, causing a laugh to escape my mouth.

        "Hi you," I said with a small laugh, turning my body sideways to shut the door behind him. His lips brushed the side of my jaw before moving to mine briefly. I wasn't used to someone pulling away before I did. Nolan always pushed his luck in school, in my house, anywhere. But Rian, he kept it simple; he didn't do anything too risky with me. It was so different.

        "Where are your parents?" he asked, walking to the counter and sitting on a stool. I told him to come over for a while, because I was alone and well..I wanted to see him. It was a Sunday night, the last time that I saw him was the Tuesday before when he met my parents. Our schedules conflicted too much, too many chances to be seen.

        "Mom visited Brenda for dinner, and my dad went outwith some of his works friends," I shrugged, fingers twitching at the space between the two of us. I never had to make the first move; I barely knew what to do.

        "So, what do you want to do?" he asked, tilting his head to the side to think of something. I shrugged once, leaning against the counter across from him. I twisted my hands together, elbows resting on the granite.

        "I don't care," I smiled, because it was true. I didn't have to do much to be okay with being with Rian.

        "Show me your room," he said after a moment, suddenly curious. I felt my cheeks turn warm, remembering what Zack told me. It was on my mind a lot now, but I knew he wasn't like Alex. He was his own person, and he was a good person at that.

        "Follow me, then," I felt my mouth smile slightly, fingers finding his as I walked towards the doorway to the stairs. I tugged him up to the second floor, and three doors on the right, to my room. I didn't bother turning on the light as he moved through the threshold.

        I probably should've cleaned the clothes that littered the floor. I sighed, picking them up and placing them in the laundry basket by the door. I looked up, watching Rian examine my things from top to bottom. It wasn't snooping, be was genuinely interested about what was in here.

        "Holy big window," Rian let out his breath, glancing to the large three sections of glass, two vertical rectangles, and a half circle covering the top. I decorated the edges with white Christmas lights, showing in the lack of light from outside. It showed my backyard, and our five acres of land.

        "My favorite part," I smiled, sitting on my bed, leaning my back against the wall that my bed was against, straight across from the giant windows.

        Rian didn't hesitate to sit next to me, feeling my blankets and looking at my high ceiling. I stared at his profile, tilting my head to the side as he continued to let hiseyes wander around my room . He wasn't the least bit engrossed in the fact that we were on the same bed together alone.

        He wasn't the same as Alex, I knew that.

        "It looks like you, if that makes sense," Rian smiled to himself. I laughed once, eyebrows coming together.

        "Looks like me?"

        "I don't know. It's just...I would have assumed that maybe Veronica would have told you to make your room purple or pink or something," he laughed at the thought. I nodded, understanding.

        "I like brown, I guess," I shrugged once, shoulder hitting his.

        "It suits you," he glanced at me, smiling softly. I felt my cheeks turn warm, grinning back at him. His eyes moved from my gaze, to my mouth. He leaned over slowly, lips presing to mine gently. My heart swelled, and my fingers moved to the side of his face, hand curling around the shape of his strong jaw.

        My palms began to sweat, stomach fluttering as my back was pushed to lie down on the sheets. Rian's lips moved to mine, my heart was doing this strange pitter-patter that I never felt before. It wasn't the same as being out of breath with Nolan, even without kissing, my heart would still be doing this.

        He hovered over me, the scruff on his chin tickling me. I laughed in reaction, causing Rian's mouth to turn up as well. His breathing was uneven, and his body was hovering over me without putting any weight on me. He smelled just like clean laundry still, I learned that it was probably my favorite smell.

        Rian pulled away from me, leaving me breathless. His eyes met mine, calloused fingers touching the side of my throat., and tracing up to my jaw. He didn't look away from me, a gaze like I've never seen before. It made me feel important, like I meant something more to him: something more than I ever did to Nolan.