Chapter 7: Crushes

July faded into August in a fast blur. My days consisted of hanging out with Veronica and the girls, Nolan, seeing my sister when she came home, and trying to avoid my parents as much as possible. Lately, it seems like all I do is argue with them. I thought that I went through the worst part of that in middle school, but it was like my mother was really getting sick of Veronica, for whatever reason.

        She told me last week that I should try hanging out with other kids for a change, but I tol dher that I've been hanging out with my best friends since...forever. I didn't understand why she was beginning to have a problem with it now, after all those years and she was just now complaining about it. But then she told me that she thinks maybe Veronica wasn't the same person she was a few years ago, but at that point I was ignoring her. She had no idea what she was talking about.

        As for those boys that Nolan had gotten in a fight with, I never really saw them again. The one time I did see them was at work. In Batimore, I worked at an ice cream shop that was open year round. I didn't need to hear the bell ring above the door to know when they had entered. I knew Alex's face, and he smirked at me as they walked up to the counter, pushing and punching each other like little kids.

        I sucked in my breath, asking what they would like while adjusting my visor. Two of the boys, both with light brown hair, asked for applications. I reluctantly walked to the back office that was more of a slightly large closer than a place for my boss to work, grabed two applications and placed them on the counter in front of them.

        The one with shorter hair smiled at me, he had a really nice smile. I felt myself grin back immediately, tucking my bangs behind my ear. I asked them if there was anything else they wanted, and the one with the skunk hair answered slyly, "you."

        It was the last time I saw any of them over the summer, but I had this funny feeling that when school started up I'd be seeing them much more often. I wasn't sure where the sensation came from, but I just new.

        Now, sitting in my room, I finally was given a chance to breathe. I was laid out, back against the comforter and my eyes closed. My air conditioner was pumping cold air all around me, kisisng my moist skin. I had just gotten back from a run, and it felt so good. I hadn't had the chacne to run in the last week or so, and I missed it. I didn't focus on anything else, not rumors, not friends, not even Nolan. It was only me and my breathing.

        I opened my eyes, knowing that the sun was still rising outside my window. I was fortunate enough to have the large window in my room. It had three great sections, two vertical rectangles, and a half circle covering the top. This used to be my sisters room a few years ago, but once I moved in, it was changed quiet drastically.

        Even if I was constantly with Veronica, and dressed up when we went out, it wasn't really my personality. I liked sweatshirts, and long sleeves, and sneakers. I was an athletic person, and I loved soccer. Maybe that was why we got along so well, because we were so different from one another.

        My walls were a rich, chocolate brown, with off-white trim covering the corners and frames of the windows and door. My dressers, bedside table, bed frame and mirror were all outlined in the same color. It was warm; it was home.

        My coffee colored sheets pushed comfortably against my back. I could feel the rise and falling of my chest as I finally calmed my heart. My stomach was bare, only a sports bra covering my chest. I wasn't so bold with my outfits. But it wa sjust so hot out when I was running, I couldn't stand the feeling of my shirt sticking to my body.

        I kicked off my shoes, letting them fall with a thud to the hardwood floor. I ran my fingers over my face, sitting up slowly and glancing around. Bags from the mall from my recent shopping trip for school clothes were scattered. I had to start putting clothes away soon; it was only two weeks before school finally started up again. I didn't want to go back, but I really didn't have much of a choice.