Chapter 28: Tough

At first, hanging out with Rian was as uncomfortable as it always was hanging out with someone alone for the first time. It was different from when we were at work, because this was on our own time.

        I had the television on, but it ended up serving as background noise, rather than entertainment. Even in a different environment, conversation came easily. Rian wasn't a hard person to keep a conversation with, and by the end of the day, nobody could've guessed we barely knew each other. He was as eay to get along with as my friends, or at least Charlotte.

        We talked about a bunch of things, mainly getting to know each other, and when Rian glanced at the time with a slightly disappointed look, it felt like he was leaving after a few minutes instead of hours.

        I was leading him to the back dor, arguing about something said in English last week, when someone rang the doorbell. Rain and I froze, our conversation ending immediately.

        Through the misty glass that framed the door, I could see the figure of one of my friends. It was Charlotte.

        "I know you're home, Kar," she said, when I hadn't answered. "And I want to know who you're with because I can see both of you."

        "Uh, one second," I muttered, moving quickly towards the door. I pulled it open slightly, standing in the space between my friend and the inside. Charlotte had her hands on her hips, an impatient and almost amused look on her face.

        "You ditched us to hang out with someone else?" She questioned. "You're lucky Veronica thought I could convince you to come, because if she was me, you'd be dead."

        "I know, I know," I whined, glancing back. Rian was standing silently in the kitchen, looking uncomfortable. We were both in a bad situation. "You won't tell her will you?"

        "That depends on who it is, Kara," she said, narrowing her eyes. I bit my lip, my hand tight on the doorknob, eager to close it.

        "Nobody, he was just leaving." I said. Charlotte rolled her eyes, giving me a look. Of course she didn't believe me.

        "Who could it possibly be that you won't tell me?" she asked, her head tilted slightly to the side.

        "It's nobody," I repeated, but I knew that I wasn't winning this one. I didn't even try to stop Charlotte as she pushed my door open and took a step into my house.

        Rian looked at the door swinging open. His eyes met mine, and then Charlotte's and then mine again. Charlotte looked at me, then to Rian, then back at me.

        "Have you lost your god damned mind?" she hissed. "Do you want to end up like Jessica?"

        "We're just hanging out Charlotte. It's not a big deal, just promise you won't tell, please?" I begged, hating that I put Rian in this position, standing by the door as he put his shoes on.

        "I am so sorry," I whispered, sliding the door open.

        "Don't worry about it," he shrugged. I wished I could tell what he thought. I pressed my lips together, watching Rian take a step outside. "I'll text you later, okay?" He smiled, and I felt relieved.

        "Okay," I smiled, waiting until he was down the back steps before shutting the door. I didn't even have to worry about walking back to Charlotte because she was storming towards me.

        "Do you have any idea what you're doing?" she asked, giving me an incredulous look. I sighed, running my fingers through my hair. This day had been going well until now.

        "Yes, kind of, not really, but does it matter?" I said, changing my mind quickly. Charlotte shook her head, her hands on her hips. It reminded me so much of Veronica.

        "You'd be out if Veronica caught you," She said firmly. "You've already gotten in trouble with her once."

        "I know," I muttered, leaning against the glass. I hadn't expected Charlotte to be so harsh about this.

        "You can't do this again," she continued. I stared at her, my eyes widening. It was an order, almost like Veronica.

        "Charlotte," I stated, "Please, I like hanging out with Rian. He's not a bad guy. I promise I'll be careful, but please, don't tell Veronica." I begged, but Charlotte shook her head.

        "I can't cover for you Kara. She's bound to suspect something eventually if you keep blowing her off for him," She said, trying to stay on Veronica's side, but she didn't look at all into it.

        "She won't suspect a thing. I won't make it obvious." I assured her. "You won't have to cover for me. I can take care of myself. Just don't tell her, that's all. She won't ask questions. When you go back over there tell her I was sleeping or something."

        "That's covering for you," Charlotte frowned.

        "Just this once." I said, feeling and looking hopeful. I smiled, waiting for my friend to change her mind. She glanced around before her eyes met mine again. She sighed, her shoulders slumping slightly.

        "You really need to be careful," she said softly.

        "Oh, thank you, thank you!" I breathed, hugging her tightly. She only held on for a moment before stepping back.

        "I really hope you understand how badly things could end. If you get caught, there's absolutely nothing I can do to help you. You need to be careful, Kar," she said softly.

        "I will, I promise. I know I'm in a tough position but Rian is a really, really great guy, but I'm not going to lose you guys. This is the only way I can do this, and you know it."

        "Tough is an understatement," Charlotte muttered, and we both smiled.

        "You better get back over there before Veronica sends someone else," I said quietly, and Charlotte nodded.

        "I realy hope you can do this," She said, and I nodded, not saying anything else as she left. When the door shut, I sighed deeply, closing my eyes. I really hoped this could work.