Chapter 15: Anniversary

"Happy five months, babe," Nolan grinned at me from the doorway of his house. He was leaning casually against the frame while I walked up the cobblestone path, smiling at him.

        My parents were gone until later tonight, having some dinner party for my dad's work. I didn't have a problem with it, only because I would be celebrating with Nolan anyway, a Saturday night to us while his parents were out of town for the weekend. It seemed like the day worked out in our favor.

        "Same to you," I smirked, walking up the steps, leaning towards him and allowing his mouth to find mine easily. The sun was almost down, it had to be close to seven-thirty. But then again, as September continued on, the days became sorter.

        His fingers fell on ym sides, tugging my waist closer. My stomach pressed to his, feeling the warmth of his torso against my shirt. He smelled like soap, and I knew he'd just taken a shower. His hair was damp, and his cheekbones were tinted a light pink from the warm water.

        "You smell good," He murmured against me, a small smile playing on his lips. I stepped away from his body, grinning at him and laughing lightly. I moved into the house, looking at his living room and eyeing his comfortable leather couch that was facing the television.

        "So, what are we doing today?" I asked, looking at him. He shrugs with another sly smile, obviously knowing what his plans were. I continued tofollow him into the kitchen, where he had a takeout menu on the counter. I rolled my eyes with a chuckle; I shouldve known he wouldn't have attempted to cook.

        "Food should be here in..." he paused, looking at his phone, "ten minutes."

        "I can tell you put a lot of effort into making us diner," I teased him, leaning my back against the counter and crossing my arms. He gave me another huge smile, nodding along sarcastically.

        "You know I'm the world's finest chef," he joked back, moving closer. His fingers curled to the fabric of my shirt, face inching closer. My nose skimmed his, and he caught me off guard with the force of his lips. I tried catching my breath through my nose, but still allowing him to kiss me.

        I was stunned for only a minute, before I moved my hands to his neck, touching his collarbones through his rugby t-shirt. My back bent to the side of the counter as he closed the little gap that was between our bodies. His fingers were moving down my back, traveling to my behind.

        He played with the hem of my shirt, and I shook my head underneath him. He brushed his fingertips against the bare skin of my hip bones. I sighed, pulling away from Nolan with the little space between us. We could have a good time, but he had to ruin it.

        "Nol, seriously, no," I mumbled as he didn't get the hint. His mouth moved from my mouth, to the corner of my lips, to my cheek, and down my jaw. I tried not to shiver as he pressed his lips to sensitive spots on my neck. My fingers were no longer gripping his shirt, but instead, pushing against his chest.

        "What?" he teased, kissing my collarbone. I shook slightly, unable to control the reaction. He was impressed with the effect he had on me. He didn't seem aware that I was shaking to move away from him; to leave his grip.

        "If you think we're doing anything on the counter in your kitchen, you're insane," I muttered, crossing my arms across my chest. It made Nolan move back slightly, enough to notice my body language. He let out a deep breath, running his fingers through his hair.

        "Kara, we've been dating for five fucking months," he was annoyed, and I knew it. He always acted this way when I turned him down. And it seemed like every anniversary was always the same. He would try something, and I'd tell him no. He would get frustrated, and I would tell him that if he wanted to be my boyfriend, he'd deal with it. Eventually, he apologizes, and I accept it. This wasn't anything special.        

        "The delivery guy is going to be here in like, five minutes. We're in your parents' kitchen, and it's supposed to be a good day, I don't want to fiht."

        His light blue eyes flickered with irritation. He opened his mouth to speak, to lie that the delivery guy wasn'y anywhere near the house. I just knew it. But the doorbell rang, causing him to glance towards the door. I could see him close his eyes slowly, letting out a defeated breath.

        He looked back towards me, and I raised my eyebrows, proving my point. He rolled his eyes at me, grabbing money off the counter and walking towards the front door. I followed behind him, grabbing the subs from the seventeen year old delivery boy. I brushed past Nolan without a glance, and I could hear him growl slightly while paying the kid.

        I walked into the living room, setting Nolan's meatball sub on the table while I unwrapped mine. He knew I liked Italian, so I was happy to see that under the paper. I took a bite as Nolan shut the door, looking towards me.

        He walked silently into the kitchen, I only knew from the noise of his feet, carrying him into the room. He opened and closed the refrigerator, but I never looked towards him as he walked in. His basketball shorts hung from his hips, and his boxers were slightly exposed. I could imagine the way he was looking at me. He would be biting his lip, determined to make me accept his small apology.

        He placed two cups on the table, one filled with soda, and the other filled with pink lemonade. He knew that was my favorite to. He sat down next to me, pcking up his sub and putting it on his lap. He opened it, and took a bite. He chewed, looking over at me impatiently.

        I finally brought myself to look at him, and noticed a small spot of sauce on the corner of his mouth. I felt myself laugh, lifting my finger to my own mouth, and indicating that he had a spot by rubbing. He looked at me puzzled while picking up his hand and placing it there. He chuckled lightly, wiping it off.

        I swallowed my food, picking up the drink from the table and washing out my mouth. I let out a sigh, setting the cup back down and putting my food on the table. I picke dup the remote and turned on the television while I pressed my back into the soft cushions.

        It took a few minutes, but Nolan set down his sub. He let out a dramatic breath slowly moving his hand around the back of my head like he was yawning or something. I couldn't stop the smile on my mouth, and the fact that I could see his profile from the corner of my eyes didn't help either. He was waiting for me to give into him and let out a breath like his.

        I shifted my weight, leaning my head against his shoulder. Almost instantly, his hand relaxed around me, curling to the fabric of my shirt. I looked at him, allowing him to catch my lips for a moment. He was forgiven for what he had done.

        Even if I had forgiven him for the time being, I still had this nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach. It was telling me that like all the other times that I won't forget about it, and that, maybe even deep down, I probably shouldn't have forgiven him in the first place.