Chapter 51: Alone

I sipped on a fruity drink that Ava had given me only a few minutes before. The sweating bottle was loose in my fingertips, and I was instantly regretting this agreement that I had with Veronica from two weeks. I hadn't even remembered that she asked me to throw a party at my house. But at this point, I wouldn't have been surprised if I said yes. I had been zoing her out more and more lately.

        I watched as kids continued to bring in more alcohol in large coolers into my kitchen. I was trying my hardest not to have a heart attack at the idea of them scratching the floor. It was driving me insane, all of the commotion within my own house.

        I crossed my arms over my chest, keeping my eye out for any kids that thought it would be funny to start throwing my mom and dad's vases and pillows across the room. God only knows how many idiots would be here tonight. I didn't even want to think about it myself, the numbers and statistics for what would be broken by the morning made me cringe.

        It also didn't help that I was uncomfortable in the tight, black dress and stiletto heels that Ronnie insisted I wear. She kept telling me that Nolan was coming tonight, and that if I ever wanted to get back together with him, I would need to show him what I had. I bit my tongue the entire time she straightened my hair, knowing how badly I never wanted to get back together with him again. But I didn't want to spoil it, knowing that she would have just went into a stwenty minute speech about how I needed to date him again because he was just 'so hot, like oh my God.' I wasn't in the mood for that.

        Whatever iPod that Sophia had connected to my speakers was now bumping throughout the house, I could feel the ground shake underneath me. Every single room was packed with students from our school, mostly upper-classmen. I could barely hear myself above all the noise. What if the police came? What the hell could I do then?

        "Cheer up, buttercup," Jay said softly to my side. I jumped, looking over at her and noticing the way she was sipping on a drink the same way I was. She was convinced the people around her that she was drinking, when in reality, she would only have had the same bottle by the end of the night.

        "You look just as happy as I do," I said weakly, giving her a pathetic grin.

        She shrugged with her mouth in a straight line. I noticed the way that the seniors that had shown up watched her as she walked by. I would never be able to pull off a purple dress the same way she did, it would look so awkward against my tanned skin.

        "I get over it," she said, taking another small swig of her drink. "I've hated parties for a while now, it's just something you learn to deal with."

        I nodded, wondering how she could put up with all this after the experiences she's had. I mean, I know that things could have been worse that night. She did give consent when she slept with Alex, even if she was convinced it meant something to him when it really meant very different things to both of them. But I felt like I could realte to how she was feeling, not wanting to ever experience that kind of embarrassment again.

        "Guys, guys," Veronica's voice broke through our small silence as she stumbled through us. Her fingers untangled from whichever boy she was dancing with as she tripped into me.

        "What?" I asked her, allowing her to lean on me as she gained her balance once again. I wasn't sure how she could have not broken her ankle in the six inch heels that she was wearing while she staggered through my house. I was lucky that I was leaning against my island; otherwise I would have just tipped over with her.

        "You'll never guess what douche bags just showed up," she said, her breath covered in alcohol. I cringed at the scent, remembering my first and last time of shot taking. "Fucking Alex Gaskarth and his stupid gang of friends."