Chapter 11: Anything Right

I could barely find it in myself to turn my head in her direction. I felt myself doing it anways, an involuntary spasm when Veronica's voice was so dark. I've never had conversations with her like this before; we've never been so against something in our entire lives.

        "That's not fair, Ronnie," my voice was barely above a whisper when I met her hard gaze. The small summer breeze was blowing her hair away from her neck, exposing how red it was. She was livid, and for the first time in a long time, it was directed at me.

        "What's not fair, Kara/ Those guys are pricks!" she growled at me, stomping her foot in protest. I felt my eyes shut momentarily at the volume of her voice. I was happy that it was getting dark outside, and that no one as able to watch the fight from the windows. If anything, we were just howls in the breeze.

        "They didn't do anything! I didn't do anything! Whatever the fuck you guys are fighting about is not my problem!" I threw my hands in the air. Even if I was terrified of my best friend, I still had a little confidence left in me. The lack of sun was leaving a shadow on Veronica's furious expression. I didn't want ot se ehow she was looking at me right now. Her looks could kill.

        "Make it your problem, then. If it's my problem, it's your problem." Her argument made no sense. Why would I make enemies of people who have done nothing to me?

        "Why would I do that? How in the hell does that even make an ounce of sense?" The distance between us was uncomfortable for an argument of this magnitude. But she began to close the gap, taking self-assured steps in my direction with her two inche heels creating noise against the pavement.

        She was inches away from me, and I could see the rage in her pretty, little eyes. She was composed, even if we were both screaming. She was so sure of herself, so sure that she was right when it didn't make sense. She thought she was right, and that's all that mattered.

        "Because, if you want to ever consider yourself my best friend again, you'll do it." Her voice was deadly, and when I avoided her gaze, she knew my answer. A small, satisfied smile crawled onto her face and she stood up straighter, letting out a small breath with a short giggle. "Good, I thought so."

        The little poise I had left to my shoulders degenerated quickly and I couldn't find it in me to even open my mouth. My brain shut down and my heart sank. She won. There was no way for me to come back from that. She was making me chose between people I've known my whole life, and a group of guys that could be exactly what everyone was telling me.

        "I have to go, Derek's sneaking over after my parents go to bed," she was giddy about the idea, not giving more than a thought about what had just happened. She kissed her hand twice, giving me a small wave and turning on her heels, "Love yah."

        I watched her disappear into the murky night woards her huge house. I ran my fingers through my hair, closing my eyes tightly and letting out a shaky breath. It took me over a minute to know for certain that I wasn't going to cry, and instead made my way to my front porch.

        I pulled my keys out of my pocket, trying not to think about what had just happened between Victoria and I. I didn't want to think about it, honestly. It was too much to swallow right now. I couldn't believe that she just made me choose between two groups of people when I didn't even understand why I had to choose in the first place.

        My shoes were now slighly damp from the grass in the yard and the dew that had accumulated on the blades. I could barely feel my feet lift off the ground when I slugged up the steps, now tired and drained. I just wanted to sleep at this point.