Chapter 9: Heart

Nolan strolled over, Jason and Craig flanking him from both sides. I could see Rian and Zack both standing on edge behind the counter, eyes never leaving Nolan. Zack's back was tense, and I could see his knuckles turning white gripping the counter top. It seemed that Alex and Jack didn't have a care as to what they were going to do. Instead, their backs were still against the counter, casually propped agianst it.

        "Band faggots," Nolan stated towards them nonchalantly, like he was just saying their names. I glared in his direction while his eyes met mine for a millisecond before looking back at the boys. It was strange to see people care so much about each other this way, about how much resentment was between the two groups of guys who should honestly care less about each other.

        I knew Ava wouldnt do anything to get her boyfriend to stop this. She wouldn't dare say anything that would make Veronica mad. And it really pissed me off that sometimes it seemed that I was the only girl in the group that had a backbone big enough to make her own opinion.

        "Arrogant pricks," Alex lifted his hand to his forehead, giving the boys a lazy salute. I could see in Alex's eyes that he was itching for a fight. He was begging Nolan to make the first move with his eyes, and I was slightly cursing him for tempting Craig, Jason and my boyfriend further.

        "Nolan, cut it out!" I really hated the word he used to address the guys. It was awful; I despised his choice of vocabulary. I moved forward and positioned myself between Nolan and Alex. I knew that Nolan would tackle me to get to Alex if necessary, but I was praying that he would think twice. "I'm at work, leave."

        "Why don't you tell them to leave?" Craig finally spoke, acting more like a girl. I set my jaw, looking over Nolan's shoulder to the dark haired junior that I was starting to hate more and more every second.

        "We were getting ice cream, dick head." Jack's small lisp made his rude statement seem childish. But it his Nolan all the same, and his eyes narrowed on the lanky boy I was sure he would tear apart if he really tried.

        "What a surprise, so weren't we," Jason smirked at them, and I could tell they were just looking for a reason to start something. I don't understand what their obsessions with fighting was, but I absolutely hated it.

        "We're in a fucking ice cream shop, let's setting this somewhere else," Zack was trying his hardest not to raise his voice. He held a lot of hate towards my boyfriend, I could tell. And at this point, I wans't sure if I blamed him. I mean, the guys really didn't do anything wrong. And as annoying as Alex was, he didn't say as much as a word to Veronica or the girls. I was beginning to really question what Veronica had against the four of them.

        "Fine, let's go then," Nolan's voice was inviting, and I knew that Alex was going to take the bait. But I interrupted before he could answer, knowing that none ofthe girls that sat in the corner would do anything about it besdies stare like it was a movie being filmed before them.

        "No one is going anywhere!" I said through my teeth, pushing Nolan's chest in the hopes of getting him to move towards the exit. But, he didn't budge, only gaining a grip on my shoulders to stop me from pushing him. I shook his hands off of me, too mad to want him to touch me. "Seriously, Nolan."

        "Kara, move out of the way." Some people would think that Veronica's fierce statement would be for my safety between a tornado and a hurricane. But I knew Veronica, and I knew that the hiss that escaped her mouth was just because she was furious at me. It was because she wanted the guys to fight, and she wanted to watch. She wanted this to happen.

        "Veronica, stay out of this!" I snapped, becoming increasingly frustrated with my best friend. Did she want me fired from one of the only jobs in town that would hire kids under sixteen? DId she want me to have to clean up Nolan, pay for dmage, and be grounded for weeks?