Chapter 53: Help

It was well past one, almost two, before we had my house completely cleaned. It looked like nobody had set foot in my house at all, and if I wasn't so exhausted, I would have felt relieved.

        The boys were bringing the trash out to their car, telling me that they'd bring them downtown and leave them in a dumpster so my parents woudn't find the evidence of a party. They were going out of their way to help me, but they wouldn't hear it if I tried to tell them my parents would find out about the party anyway. I'd have to tell them what happened between Veronica and me. They'd notice that I didn't associate with them anymore.

        While they were out at their car, I snuck upstairs to finally change out of my dress. I was much more comfortable in sweatpants and a t-shirt than Veronica's mini dress. I was pulling my hair up into a bun when someone knocked softly on my door. I figured it was Rian and, since everything was done, they would be leaving now.

        "It's open," I said loudly, twisting my body towards the door as it opened. I saw Rian first and smiled, dropping arms to my side.

        Alex, Jack, and Zack must have folowed him upstairs because Jack pushed his way into my room, looking around. "Wow, you know Rian's room is brown too. Yorr walls are the same color."

        "Yeah, I know," I laughed lightly. Jack looked at me and then at Rian. Alex, who was leaning against my doorframe, and Zack who was standing next to him, also looked at Rian.

        "I thought you said you weren't doing it?" Jack asked bluntly, and I felt my cheeks flush as Rian's fist flew out and hit Jack's arm.

        "Just 'cause she's been in my room doesn't mean we're doing it, moron," Rian said. "I can actually hang out with a girl without sleeping with her."

        Jack looked back at me, ignoring Rian. "Does this mean you're gonna sit with us at lunch?" He asked, hsi expression changing to excitement. I shrugged. I hadn't thought about it.

        "You guys are probably the only people who will want to sit with me after Veronica's done," I muttered, glancing down. I saw Jack's arms circle around my body and he picked me up, spinning my around wildly so I almost knocked into my furniture.

        "Don't look so down, sitting with us will be a thousand times better!" he said excitedly, and I was laughing as he put me down. He backed up and Zack moved out of his way, stepping into my room a little so Jack could drape his arm around Alex.

        "This grumpy pants is my ride home," He said, nodding his head to the side at Alex. "So I can't stick around." Alex pushed himself off the door frame and pushed Jack away fom him.

        "See you later, Kara," He said, smiling lightly. I waved, watching as the two of them disappeared from my sight.

        "I should go," Zack said. "See you around at practice?"

        "Yeah." I nodded smiling. He disappeared from my room, leaving just Rian lingering by my closet.

        "I guess you're leaving too?" I assumed, and Rian shrugged, walking around my bed towards me.

        "I could hang around for a while if you want. My parents are asleep and won't notice when I come home." He offered me a smile that I returned, before moving past him to sit on my bed, back against the pillows. Rian took the spot next to me, taking my hand as our only contact.

        "You guys didn't have to hang around to help me. I could have gotten it done by myself, my parents won't be home until Sunday afernoon," I said quietly, leaning my head on Rian's shoulder.

        "It's not a big deal," he said quickly. "We all kind of felt bad. What happened tonight was pretty much our fault." I picked my head up to look at him, shaking it slowly.

        "No, it's not. Everything, is entirely my fault. That was bound to happen eventually. After hanging out with you, even if we did stop talking, Veronica would not have been happy. And I guess she never really was a good friend."

        "But you're still upset," Rian said softly, as I rested my head against his shoulder. I bit my lip, thinking for a moment.        

        "Well, it's going to be different, not speaking with them, especially Jay and Charlotte. I got along with them better than I got along with the other three. And, I don't even want to think about how terrible school will be," I sighed.

        "i don't think it'll be as bad as Veronica made it sound. At some point, she's going to get tired of going after you and she'll move on," Rian assured me.

        "But how long is it going to take? Veronica's good as what she does, bringing other people down. I don't know how long I'd be able to take it fron her."

        "You could always fight back," he sugested, and for a second, I wanted to laugh. How I managed to stick up for myself tonight was beyond me. Veronica Rivers was the last person you wanted to fight with, and I'd already dragged myself down that road.

        "Fighting back against Veronica is like, it's like walking into a tornado. It's deadly," I mumbled, and Rian's shoulders shook slightly as he laughed.

        "A tornado, huh?" Rian chuckled, and I rolled my eyes, even if he couldn't see.

        "I'm serious," I laughed, looking at him. "I thought you would know, you've been at the end of her attacks before."

        "Yeah, but with Alex and Jack, it's not so bad. They're just as good as she is; you saw how they talked to her tonight, how easily they got to her. Maybe if you're lucky, they'll help you out a bit."

        "I'll need all the help I can get if I want to survive Monday," I groaned.

        I couldn't decide if Rian was simply trying to make me feel better about facing Veronica in school or if he really thought it wouldn't be so bad, but part of me didn't care. He was here and he was comforting, and even if most of the school would be against me, I had more important people on my side.