Chapter 25: Instead

Another week started, and I found myself practically forcing myself out of bed each morning. I didn't want to have to see Nolan every day, especially with Lindsey. It turns out, she's in our lunch and on Monday I had the horror of finding out she was sitting with us.

        I felt all my friends' eyes on me, as she sat down on the table next to Nolan, but I pretended I didn't see. I acted like I didn't care and that it bothered me, but I found myself leaving the table before lunch was over.

        Veronica and Charlotte watched me, but didn't follow. I wasn't sure if Nolan noticed, or if he was too busy with Lindsey throwing herself at him, but I wasn't sure I cared. I was too mad at him now. My sadness shifted to frustration every time I was around him, but when I wasn't I went back to feeling pain.

        I hated that he was with somebody else already, and I hated that they thew themselves at each other right in front of me. Tears stung at my eyes unwillingly, and as I reached up to wipe them I heard my name.

        I jumped, not expecting to hear Rian's voice behind me. I kept walking. I didn't exactly want to see him or have him see me, but I knew he was going to follow me anyway.

        "Rian, I really don't want to talk to anyone," I mumbled when his footsteps came in my direction.

        "But, you don't want to be alone, do you?" he wondered, making me freeze. He stepped in front of me and looked at me. I wanted to tell him he was wrong, but I couldn't get the words to leave my mouth. Maybe, it was because he was right.

        I'd wished Charlotte had followed me because I could have used her company, but I didn't know what had stopped her. Instead of having my best friends for comfort, I had somebody I shouldn't be talking to. Instead of having somebody I could really talk to, I had somebody I barely knew at all.

        I leaned against the locker, letting myself slide down so I was sitting, my knees pulled up to my chin. Rian sat next to me, his shoulder brushing mine. He didn't do anything but sit next to me until the bell rang, signaling lunch was over.

        He stood up quickly and held out his hand. I hesitated for a moment before I took it and let him help me up. When I was standing, I pulled my hand away, rubbing my arm absentmindedly.

        "Uh, thanks," I said softly, glancing in the direction of the cafeteria. Students were flooding out and I saw Charlotte heading my way, my bag in her hand. I took a step back, noticing that Alex and Jack were headed towards Rian.

        Rian and I locked eyes before I turned away to meet Charlotte. As she held out my bag, she glanced down the hall, looking at Rian. I pulled my bag and couldn't help but follow her gaze.

        "What were you doing with him?" she asked, watching him disappear down the hallway with Alex and Jack.

        "He wanted to see if I was okay," I said softly, and then turned to her. "Something I was hopng you'd do."

        "I'm sorry," she said, walking with me. "I thought you wanted to be alone and then Rian got up and followed you," she said, trailing off.

        "Did Ronnie or anybody else see us?" I asked her. Even if I wasn't with Nolan, I still had Veronica to worry about. I sometimes thought Veronica would be worse than Nolan.

        "I don't think so," Charlotte answered, and I sighed in relief. "I know she went the other way, but," she said, looking over my shoulder. I looked too, heart plummeting.

        "Do you think he saw?" I asked, looking back at Charlotte. She shrugged and said, "Do you care if he did?"

        "I don't know, I know I shouldn't," I sighed, "But I can't help it," Charlotte gave me a sympathetic smile as the bell rang. We were going to be late. She gave me a hug and then disappeared into her classroom across the hall. I went into my own room, finding my seat.

        Thankfully, the rest of the day flew by. I was looking forward to getting out of school and going home, but my boss had other plans. She left me a message, asking if I could come in for work today. One of the girls that were scheduled was sick and she needed a replacement. I'd be working with Rian and Zack.

        Part of me wanted to say I coudln't come in today. Part of me wanted to lie and say I was sick or I had something else I couldn't miss. But the other part of me wanted to go into work. It would give me something to do to keep my mind off Nolan.

        I called Sue back, letting her know that I was available to work. I took the buss home and as soon as I got into my house I found my mother, letting her know I had to work.

        When she dropped me off, she asked if I had a ride, and even though I wasn't sure, I assured her I did. Part of me hoped Rian would give me a ride, part of me already knew he would.

        I waved my mom off before entering the shop. I was greeted by two pairs of semi-surprised eyes. Rian and Zack were leaning against the counter and a father was sitting with two young boys at the end of the shop.

        "What are you doing here?" Rian asked, eyes following me as I stepped behind the counter. I pulled my hair back, sliding my visor onto my head.

        "Somebody cancelled and Sue needed another person," I sighed, and then yawned. Zack smiled, his elbows bent behind him resting on the counter.

        "You definitely seem like you want to be here," He said, and I rolled my eyes. I couldn't hide the fact that I was exhausted.

        "I'm just a little behind in the sleep department," I shrugged, and while Zack nodded and didn't question, I could feel Rian's eyes on me. I met them for a moment, knowing that he knew more than his friends did.

        "I guess we'll just have to make sure you don't fall asleep on the job," Zack said, and I pulled my eyes from Rian to look at Zack and smile.

        "I'll hold you to that," I said stifing another yawn. Zack chudkled at my wandering eyes, and I laughed shortly too. I was already glad I'd come to work. Being around Rian and Zack was becoming as easy as being around my other friends.