Chapter 40: Fine

I opened the door to the ice cream shop, listening to my mom's tires pull away from the sidewalk. I listened to the small bell above me ring, announcing my entrance. Zack was behind the counter, sponge in his grip after clearly wiping down the counter next to Jamie, a nineteen year old in community college that worked here once or twice a week. She was clearly bored, and of no assistance whlie leaning against the side of the counter, picking at her nail beds. Zack's expression was annoyed, and I was slightly amused.

        There were three groups of kids seated around the shop; I was surprised that people still came to get ice cream in cold weather. I guess it's whatever someone prefers.

        "Oh, thank god," Jamie groaned loudly when she noticed I was here. It took her less than two minutes to shuffle on her jacket, telling me that Sue left the paychecks in the office. She nearly sprinted out at the shop, sooner than I could get bdhind the counter.

        "I fuckng hate her," Zack mumbled, and I laughed, grinning at him. He rolled his eyes, cracking a faint smile before hopping onto the counter that he'd just cleaned. I leaned my elbows on the plastic, watching the three groups leave within the next twenty minutes. Zack and I stayed quiet, barely speaking with a bunch of freshmen and sophomores around, especially with some of them knowing Veronica. If I was chatting with Zack, best friends with Alex, Jack and Rian, they wouldn't hesitate to rat me out in the hopes of Veronica liking them more.

        Sometimes, this hiding our friendship thing can be tiring.

        "So, how'd you like golfing?" Zack asked me as soon as they left. I looked at him, smile forming and shrugging. I was replaying the night in my mind, up until the point Rian's lips touched mine.

        "It was a lot of fun," I nodded, palms beginning to sweat. I leaned away from the counter, wiping them on my pants and reaching for the only stool behind the counter. I never understood why Sue put two of us on shift when no one would be coming in. Regardless, we both sat there for the next few hours, switching on and off from the four customers that actually showed up.

        "So, are you and Rian dating or what?" Zack finaly asked once the last customer left. His visor sat loosely on top of his head, hair getting longer. I felt my cheeks turn hot, turning away from him and playing with my fingernails. Way to get to the point.

        "No, not really," I replied softly, finding something interesting to look at in the purple and white tiled floors. I realized that the color scheme made no sense. Black walls with different colors of the stores name and logo across it, and a green ceiling. I think the owners may be crazy.

        "It seemed like you were when we were golfing," he raised his eyebrows at me, before beginning to cound on his fingers, "and when we're at practice, and at work, and basically when we go anywere.."

        I cut him off, unable to handle him continuing. I lifted up my hand, eyes squeezing shut. When did we make things so much more complicated than they were before? WHen did things get this out of hand?

        "I know," I said lightly, licking my lips while trying to sort through my thoughts, "It's just...complicated, and we're really..."

        "Complicated?" Zack guessed with a grin. I rolled my eyes at him, unable to keep my own smile. I just shrugged again, leaning my back against the wall behind me. I let out a deep breath, watching my hair rise and fall back in my eyes. I wish things didn't have to be this way.

        "I guess so," I said quietly, face turning sour at the thought.

        "If it's any consolation, Rian likes you a lot," he said, hopping off the counter and instead leaning agianst it. His arms crossed over his chest, biting the inside of his lip. I looked over at him, gnawing at my cheek, squinting while I thought.