Chapter 26: Little Secret

"No joke, we had to call the fire department because Jack wouldn't climb down from the tree," Rian was grinning while speaking, reminiscing. "It was one hell of a New Year's Eve, freshman year was the best."

        I wiped under my eyes, stomach aching because I was laughing so hard. The store didn't have anyone in it; we've been empty for around a half an hour. Zack was sweeping, I was wiping down the counters and tables, and Rian was putting the ice cream in the freezers connected to Sue's office.

        It was almost over, and we only had a few minutes before the store closed. We were speeding up the processes, trying to get out of here as quickly as possible. I knew that I hadn't done my English homework, or my psychology packet that was due. I had too much to do and not enough time to get it done.

        I tossed the paper towels I used into the trash can and stuffed the surface cleaner under the counter. I leaned against it, yawning again. I wish I didn't have so much homework; otherwise I'd go home and right to bed.

        I was surprised at how well the boys were able to keep me occupied the entire time we were here. I had barely thought about Nolan at all, unless somehow, Veronica and my friends came into the conversation. It seemed that even if they absolutely hated my friends, they were civil enough to be polite and try to make me feel comfortable. They asked questions that pried for answers, but simple things, like what we did when we hang out, and what they were like.

        I was even more fascinated by their group of friends, and found it interesting to see that their group, their band, was tighter knit than my friends. I felt like that wasn't possible, like we were as close as friends got.

        Alex and Jack seemed funny. They had these personalities that Rian spoke about that made them seem carefree, and I almsot envied them. In my life, there was always something wrong, something always needed to be fixed. With their group of friends, it was easy for them to just be friends without complications. They didn't even seem to have a problem with the way that I worked with them, even if Veronica and the girls despised the idea. They understood and even if it seems stupod, it was something that I wasn't used to. I almost felt bad that I never experienced that before.

        Rian finished off the ice cream containers, and Zack placed the broom behind the counter. I grabbed my coat from the office, locking it behind me. Rian was sitting on the counter when I came back, and Zack was holding his keys in his grip, smiling lightly.

        "Practice tomorrow at five or six?" Zack pointed at Rian. Rian thought about it before answering.

        "Five," he nodded, sure of his words. Zack bobbed his head, acknowledging the response and looked in my direction, waving with his hand before leaving.

        "See you around, Kara," He said, another grin appearing on his mouth before leaving. I waved, even though he couldn't see it, and let out a breath. I hated this part of the night, the whole closing down process.

        Usually when Sue wasn't there, she had me lock everything up, count the money, and turn off all the lights. Anything who is working with me knows that, so when Rian was on the counter, I couldn't help but look at him funny as he sat there.

        "You know you can leave," I said softly, opening the register and counting the bills slowly. I looked him as he twirled his keys on his finger casually. His light brown hair hung over his eyes, and he shrugged with a smile. His eyes were pretty -- something I normally didn't say abotu brown eyes. Mostly because I hated mine, and I wished I had something more interesting.

        "You're stuck here alone if I leave." Even if it was somethign so simple, I felt my heart speed up slightly. No one ever said things like that to me. They never cared if I was alone, or if I even wanted to be left alone. My friends never asked, and I'm getting the notion he is because cares.