Chapter 8: Round Two

Rian, Zack and I were stuck working until close. It bothered me slightly that Sue wanted us all working on such a slow day, but, it could've been worse, I guess. Rian and Zack were nice, and I could have been stuck working with Alex and their other skunk haired friend.

        I'd mentioned a moment ago that they were both a little irritating. I said it as nicely as anybody could, even though it probably didn't help. I really just wanted to know how ack and Rian saw their other two friends; if they ever found them as annoying as my friends did.

        "They're really not bad guys," Rian said. "They like to mess with people and they can be really obnoxious. If you get to know them it becomes a little more humorous and a little less annyoing."

        "But who would want to hang out with somebody who acts as over-confident as they do?" I wondered, mostly to myself. Zack bit his lip for the hundredth time this day and Rian raised an eyebrow.

        "You'd be surprised." We allt urned as the door swung open and the bell rang. "Speak of the devil," I thoguht to myself, watching Alex and their othe friend stride into the shop. Alex caught my eye brieflt before I turned and fumbled mindlessly with something at the counter, trying to appear busy.

        I kept my ears open, listening to their conversation. It started with a loud greeting from Alex, his shout echoing in the empty shop.

        "How's your first day of work going, ladies?" one asked, I was almost certain it was Alex, but I couldn't be sure. I turned quickly to grab a cleaning rag, noticing that Rian and Zack's wisors were now placed on top of their visitor's heads. I started wiping the counter down slowly, knowing that soon enough I wouldn't have anything to do.

        "You're like, the only people that have been in here all day," Rian said. I knew his voice because I'd talked to him the most throughout the day.

        "Slow day? I guess you've had plenty of time to get to know your new co-worker?" I could practically feel all their eyes gazing at me and I couldn't help turning around. Zack glanced away, as did Rian but the other two held my gaze. I took a few steps towards them, feeling strangely confident. "If you two don't order, you'll have to leave." I said, neighing niceness.

        "Ouch," Alex said, faking a hurt expression. "And I thought you were supposed to be nice to your customers," I scowled, and a smirk returned to Alex's face.

        He glanced up at the enlarged menus on the wall, taking a moment to study them before saying what he wanted. Zack backed away from the counter to make the order.

        "Do you want anything, Jack?" Rian asked, looking at his friend with skunk hair. The quiet noise wouldn't last long though, because it seemed that trouble followed Alex and his friends wherever they went. Or maybe, I just had bad luck.

        People outside caught my eye and I watched through the window as my friends headed towards the door. They must not have been able to recognize Alex and Jack from behind, but as soon as they entered the shop, Rian and Zack were going back towards the counter.

        Veronica gave me a look and I shrugged, moving from behind the counter as she led the girls at the other end of the shop.

        "Why are they all here?" Veronica hissed, glaring at them and then looking at me. I sighed, leaning on my left foot.

        "Rian and Zack work here," I muttered, and Veronica tilted her head slightly. Ava, Charlotte, Sophia and Jay all watched as she looked at me, "So, you're on a first name basis now?" I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.

        "We work together, Ronnie. They haven't given me a reason to hate them," I said, switching my weight to my other foot. I wished they hadn't shown up, not today at least. I normally didn't mind when my friends came on slow days, but I was working with Veronica's enemies, and that was a curve ball.

        Jay bit down on her lip, Charlotte glanced out the windo but Sophia and Ava kept their attention on Veornica and I as she responded, "Kara, they got into a fight with your boyfriend and his friends," She said, as if I didn't remember.

        "That fight shouldn't have happened. Rian didn't bump into me on purpose and the whole situation was taken way out of control," I agrued, and before Veronica could try and push this argument forward, I asked my friends what they wanted, silencing Veronica.

        They ordered the same thing they always did and I turned to go back behind the counter, only slightly hiding my annoyance. Rian glanced at me, but other than that, that was the only acknowledgement I got from the boys.

        I took my time making my friends orders, knowing they wouldn't complain if I took too long. I brought it to them without a word, ignoring Veronica's glare. She was the only one that didn't thank me as I walked away. She had a smirk on her face, a look saying she knew something I didn't know. I had a bad feeling, and as I turned around I wanted to ask her what she'd done, or was going to do, but the three figures walking towards the door answered the question. I turned and glared at Veronica and then rushed to the front door.

        I reached it as soon as Nolan did, Jason and their other friend Craig, did. I planted my hands on the door frame, staring at Nolan. "Please don't come in," I asked. He looked over my shoulder, presumably at Alex and his friends, and then back at me.

        "We just wanted to get ice cream," Jason said, standing a fraction behind Nolan. I rolled my eyes, scowling at him. His fake innocence turned into a smile and a short laugh as he watched me.

        "Please, guys. They're not doing anything worong and I'm working. Whatever you were planning on doing, you're not doing it here." I said firmly, but they refused to listen to me. Nolan reached out and grabbed my wrist. He grabbed it softly, but was still able to move me out of the way. My heart raced as he moved into the shop.

        Rian looked up at them and a shadow crossed over his face, causing Alex and Jack to turn. Their expressions turned form friendly to hostile and Nolan and his friends stopped a few feet away. Alex stood up and Jack leaned his back against the counter, looking amused like always.

        "Nolan, come on," I pleaded, grabbing onto his arm. He shook me off and I groaned, pushing past him to Veronica. "What the hell did you do?" I hissed, leaning towards her. She shrugged, looking innocent and guilty at the same time.

        "I might have told Jason that Alex and his friends were down here causing trouble," she shrugged, taking a small scoop of ice cream into her mouth. To her, it was no big deal. She lived for the drama and that was happening between the guys. To me, it was stupid and annoying, and if my boss found out, Rian, Zack and I could all be fired.

        I turned my attention back to the boys, hoping to avoid a round two.